Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats going to happen to IOFFL once we get DSL?

Options
  • 24-03-2002 7:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

I'd hate to see one of my favorite communities dissapear after we get DSL =(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

We could always stay together and rename the forum... just because we have reached our gols, doesn't mean this place has to die... and besides, with the way things seem to be going at the moment, internet wise... i think IOFFL has a few more years life in it yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 wiredtothemoon

start campaigning for VDSL?? :-)

seriously tho i have to agree with Kennett, IOFFL has a few years left yet.

there is also the issue of pricing and that nasty download cap (tho surely an unmetered service would be offered by an OLO eventually?)

remember also that plenty of people (not me) would prefer to pay €20 for flat rate dial up than €70 or more for adsl.
    I can't envisage adsl being available to the whole of dublin city before the end of the year, let alone to every decent sized town, so the immediate introduction of flat rate dial up is still something to fight for.

while i'm at it, might as well whinge about the "installation" charge of €150....... isn't the splitter just a little box that plugs in like those rj12 double adapters? - (someone correct me if i'm wrong about this)

finally (and off-topic i know) does anyone know if eircom will give a static ip address to adsl customers? I have a sneaking suspicion they'll try charging a fee.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Feck DSL i want an affordable E3 line! :D(T3 is the american standard, E3 is the european)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by azezil
    Feck DSL i want an affordable E3 line! :D(T3 is the american standard, E3 is the european)

not askin for much are we? ;)

Start small, then shoot for the big pipe :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Universal flat rate (unmetered) access to the internet for all users.

Complete Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) by Eircom.

Universal access to broadband services for all users.

heh IOFFL definitely has a few years left :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Universal flat rate (unmetered) access to the internet for all users.

That's what will happen. DSL won't succeed in any reasonable timeframe without that, no matter how much the broadband junkies crow about it. With a flat-rate stepping stone, broadband will hit the mainstream in ~5 years. Without, it will take a minimum of 10, if at all. Need I point out that in ten years, DSL will be the equivalent of ISDN now?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

once DSL arrives, it'll encourage competition... NTL will probably connect up most of Ireland to their 2-way network after 2 or 3 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

At the original meeting at which IrelandOFFLine was formed, it was decided that once our objectives are finally met (and that doesn't just mean the introduction of [A]DSL), the organisation would cease to be ... just as happened with the main pressure group in the UK when FRIACO came along.

I haven't seen any reason yet to deviate from that stance. Once our objectives are met, our 'raison-d'etre' will cease to exist, and so we'd wind down and disband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Even if IOFFL has to disband, we could always start another forum... I'm sure I'd be able to setup a forum for you guys once IOFFL has disbanded... I have an account with Everyone.net which allows me to make forums, so it wont be too much hassle to do, if that's waht people want? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I think IOFFL should remain until Ireland really is the "e-hub" of europe..

i.e: better internet access then most of europe

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think IOFFL should remain until Ireland really is the "e-hub" of europe.. i.e: better internet access then most of europe

This isn't really a matter for discussion Tizlox, which is what Bard was trying to tell you. The committee has come to a decision that IrelandOffline will be disbanded when our goals are achieved. Our goals have not been achieved. To address your points directly:

1) IrelandOffline will not be disbanded when a commercial DSL product is released, for the simple reason that it is just one of our goals.

2) IrelandOffline does not view the release of commerical DSL products as a full and lasting solution to the Internet connectivity problems in Ireland. It believes /firmly/ that flat-rate services are essential to Ireland's progression towards becoming a genuine "connected state".

3) IrelandOffline will disband when our goals have been achieved. The name alone would preclude us from continuing in our current format. It is possible that some committee members will reform as another group to tackle other issues, but whether that happens remains to be seen.

4) IrelandOffline believes is has some way to go to achieve it's goals, therefore it does not put value into discussing "what if's" of this sort. "What if's" of a technical or political nature that directly relate to achieving our goals are perfectly acceptable, however, in fact we would encourage them.

Not to put too fine a point on it Tizlox, and with all due respect, you're wasting our time. I genuinely don't mean that in an offensive manner, I'm simply trying to point out that this topic is going nowhere. Move on.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

What will happen to IOFFL after we get DSL?

Well I'd imagine we'll start fighting for cheaper DSL and alternate access methods.. after the huge piss up/celebration of course :)

Advertisement