Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rte Delayed

• 24-03-2002 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

ACCORDING TO THIS MONTHS WHAT SATELLITE MAG RTE WILL BE DELAYED UNTILL SUMMER BECAUSE OF BCI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

That was probably printed last month so well outdated

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Uncle Grueber

No, I have it from reliable sources that RTE's launch on Sky Digital will be delayed, thus delaying TV3 also, as they are are to be simultaneous. Their chances of launching in April are pretty slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by danielle
    ACCORDING TO THIS MONTHS WHAT SATELLITE MAG RTE WILL BE DELAYED UNTILL SUMMER BECAUSE OF BCI

Yes, I can hear you, it is out of date..........

Originally posted by Uncle Grueber
    No, I have it from reliable sources that RTE's launch on Sky Digital will be delayed, thus delaying TV3 also, as they are are to be simultaneous. Their chances of launching in April are pretty slim.

Jeez, Uncle Grueber, I wouldn't want to play you in a game of poker!

Ha! And you haven't even seen my poker face. :)

• Advertisement

I can imagine......

You'd never show your hand anyway!

Oooh. That sounds like a jibe?... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭TinMan

So Damo, I take it you are correct and Uncle Grueber is incorrect? Confusing or wha? :confused:

Will RTE still be avaliable on the 23rd?

While I am at it, anyone seen anything yet on the frequencies?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The contracts have yet to be offically awarded by the BCI (they are in negotiations regarding the details, and probably the levy too). But this might not stop RTE from being ready and testing its equipment, so that a launch can happen as soon as the negotiations are complete.

No jibe at all, Uncle Grueber.

Some people come on this board, saying they have information, that they cant really divulge.
    Fair enough if its specific to your or another persons job; no one wants to see you get hanged. But this board is fairly anonymous, we all have handles.

But back onto the topic at hand: RTÉ and Sky Digital. We don't know if you are right, we also don't know if you are wrong.
    We don't know for certain (it aint been printed yet, folks) that RTÉ will appear on the 23rd. But nothing in recent weeks has added to a delay to an April launch. In fact, its more confirmed it.
    As Ronan said, RTÉ and the BCI haven't finalised a deal yet for transmission, there could be a spanner in the works. Eyewitness reports, even from myself know that RTÉ dish is as near set for testing as is possible. The pre-launch advertising has even started today.

On the 23rd of November, RTÉ and Sky signed a contract saying that RTÉ will launch in April. RTÉ have always said publicly that April is the go, even with the intervention of the BCI. We still haven't heard anything to the contrary.

In conclusion (if I have to defend myself!) If you have summat to say, please say it. If you cant, I fully respect that. But don't expect me or anyone on the forum to take seriously suggestions from sources, if you are only hinting at them. You could come up in a few weeks time, if it is delayed saying "Ha, I told you so." There's nowt worse than someone saying that, but not saying anything in the first place. No one might be listening then.

Come out and tell us, if you can. If you are not able to, say so, we respect that. But don't keep hinting at "vague" news. You could be misinforming a lot of people who trust this board for the good information that we share amongst a large community.

Cheers,

Damien.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

Rte will probably go ahead in April but some programs might be blanked out . Remember ITV had aproblem with F1 but it was sorted out in the last minute. Surely Rte Will encounter the same problems. It is expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Well whatever happened to the "March 17th on the EPG" guarantee (stand up whoever posted that) ? And then there's the "April 30th at 11.59am" (which turned out to be a mis-quoted joke from another forum).

It's very hard to know which information should be taken seriously and which should be taken with a pinch of salt. And when someone is unwilling to reveal their source, it's even more likely that readers will be sceptical.

Of course this is not to imply that anyone's being untruthful, but it's very easy to see how many people would like something a bit more solid to go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Stiabhna

Damo,

As they say in the House of Lords: "Hair, hair".

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭NorthDown

What's the score then for those of us up here in Northern Ireland? Had our good friend Tom McCarthy said anything to anyone about that? At least I can hang off for another week or so before having to decide whether to get the Sky man out as I'm told it's 10 - 14 days for an install. Whilst having programmes blocked would be an inconvenience as long as the basic home produced service appears I'll definitelty get it. What's the word for us here then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭d-j-k

As far as I know...

RTE is not answerable to the BCI. The RTE athority regulate RTE/Net2/TG4 programming content and terms of a satellite uplink licence that would be down the the ODTR who would grant them an earth station licence. I may be wrong, this may now fall under the BCI's remit these days, although I don't think so.

TV3 however are answerable to the BCI as they are licenced by them

So I would say that story is more than likely BS

Originally posted by NorthDown
    What's the score then for those of us up here in Northern Ireland? Had our good friend Tom McCarthy said anything to anyone about that? At least I can hang off for another week or so before having to decide whether to get the Sky man out as I'm told it's 10 - 14 days for an install. Whilst having programmes blocked would be an inconvenience as long as the basic home produced service appears I'll definitelty get it. What's the word for us here then?

No news, I'm afraid man. RTÉ haven't said anything to the contrary either. Drop them a line and let us know. (I've used my 9 lives mailing the TV co's recently!)

Originally posted by d-j-k
    As far as I know...

RTE is not answerable to the BCI. The RTE athority regulate RTE/Net2/TG4 programming content and terms of a satellite uplink licence that would be down the the ODTR who would grant them an earth station licence. I may be wrong, this may now fall under the BCI's remit these days, although I don't think so.

Its not BS at all,

It was discussed here before, wheather RTÉ was under the BCI. In name they are not, RTÉ are not governed by the BCI, but the BCI seemingly control all satellite broadcasts from Ireland, regardless.

have a look at a previous thread on the matter here and here too.

Mind you, my comments seem way outdated now. Its all pretty much settled now anyway.

Advertisement