Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site for looking up phone numbers?

• 06-04-2001 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Anyone got a site for looking up phone numbers (esp. mobiles), to get details of the owner etc. if you don't want to be ringing Directory Enquiries all the time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

AFAIK, www.goldenpages.ie is the only "official" Irish one, although at my last time using it, it wasn't much good...

Bard
    "Ooh! You're so clever today you'd better be careful your foot doesn't fall off." -Nursie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

i dont think that does mobiles??? nemore???

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I never new directory enquiries would give you out information of the owner of mobiles if you gave them the number ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    AFAIK, www.goldenpages.ie is the only "official" Irish one, although at my last time using it, it wasn't much good...
    </font>

Something very weird went on with that recent upgrade. The search facility is just not well designed. Of course in 1999 you could have downloaded the whole set of directories from GP until someone found that and also how to do reverse lookups - of course Eircom claimed it was impossible - they even told the technology journalists who printed the Eircom lies and then Eircom set about improving security all the time cursing a certain technology news site wink.gif. The security on their original CD-ROM was even worse - a toy protection system based on XORing a 96 byte word over the db - the db was Paradox I think.

I think that as soon as the telcos can work out a method of getting a wappable directory site then it will go live. However the only solution at the moment is either directory enquiries or someone shoving an SMS > DB(Eircom CDROM) > SMS system together. The problem is not the software/tech - it is making it pay for itself. Damn I won't get any sleep now playing with that idea as a bit of mental bubblegum. :-)

Actually, a few cheap prepaid phones with serial connections, some TCL and MySQL and a free SMS gateway should do it. It would be worth it just to see the look on the telco faces. Second thoughts, Postgres not MySQL - have to have transactions. Gotta get back in contact with some people who worked on replicating the GSM SIM cards a few years ago but first some sleep. wink.gif

Regards...jmcc
    All ideas above (c) 2001 - jmcc (just in case it works.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

thanks lads but no joy so far, that goldenpages site requires you to enter names etc., I need something where you enter the number and get the details.

That stuff in the post above is way too techincal for me smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Oh god and I understood most of it.

MUST.... GET.... LIFE....

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

CT I though you were warned about that stalking lark :P

Gandalf.

Advertisement