Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio connection

• 24-03-2002 10:52pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry about posting this here, but because the Audio/Visual board doesn't seem to get much traffic yet...

You know the way you can connect your speakers to your hi-fi, by the red+white cables
    Well, I only have 1 hi-fi to use, and what I want to do is get a like double connection so I can have my decks and speakers off the pc connected up at the same time
    and if possible, have both of them able to output sound into the hi-fi together
    anyone know if there is such a cable/connector?
    http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db...path=10x153x329
    Thats kinda what I am looking at, but I don't need 2 jacks at the end, I only need 1
    I need the red+white cable at the end to connect up to the mixer

Anyone know what I am talking about, or want me to post a picture.. anyone know if there such a connection?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Ok, for getting the four connectors, you need to get some one in an audio visual shop to make the following wire, each about one inch long. "Two RCA sockets to One RCA Plug" then when you get that, you will be able to do what you want to do.

John

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Hmm, confuses me :p

Thanks though Lump, I'll check around in town during the week about that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i dont think i quite understood what you need...

but if its to simply connect both your pc speakers and your hi-fi to your computer:

get a 3.5mm splitter (3.5mm plug -> 2x3.5mm sockets) and a 3.5mm -> 2xRCA (phono plugs) cable.
    Stick the splitter into the back of the pc along with your 3.5mm speaker cable and the RCA cable to your hifi.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Here's quick pic I drew Kali, tell me if you still don't understand..

Its a ****ty paint job in a few mins, hehe

audio.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

see audio visual for how to do this in English

BomB

• Advertisement

BomB, I could draw something if you wanted

Would yea mind drawing up the idea you have for me please, I'm a lil' bit iffy on what you exzactly mean..

Just go in to peats, and ask for what I wrote, 2 * RCA Dual sockets to Single RCA plug.

For a start bomb, they are not called jacks, the proper name is RCA or composite connections,

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Stoopid question, but are these bi-directional?
    OJ seems to need a two-into-one as opposed to a splitter...

Just askin'!

That seem to be what I am looking for alright Lump, thanks

• Advertisement

No worries.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

i know what they are called, but theres no point in complicating matters, i was just using common terms, 99% of people on the street would call it a jack.

BomB

I got two of those connections you told me to get Lump, when I have them on the back, and when I plug in the mixer, it out puts grand, but when I put in the connection for the pc to the hi-fi it kinda ****s up the mixers music and sometimes kills it :/

I think its the mixer audio wire though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

If both inputs are going into your stereo together (which they appear to be, especially considering the adaptors you're using) one is partially cancelling out the other - a concept known as destructive interference. You really need two inputs on your Hifi, or to be able to switch between them.

The adaptors that were suggested above are intended to take a stereo input and "downmix" it (although that's not the right word) to a mono channel. The fact that the left and right channels on a stereo recording are so similar (and in phase - it would take too long to explain this if you don't know what it means already) means that destructive interference doesn't really come into it. However, put two very different signals in, and you get, as the Americans would say, "garbage" out.

Gadget
    P.S.> I've seen quite a number of PC Sound Cards with "noisy" line outs, even when they're not supposed to be active - this probably doesn't help your cause either.

Thanks for that Inspector Gadget
    The hi-fi is quite old, looks like its time to get a new one.. I'll look for one that allows two imputs into the hi-fi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Why not feed the PC audio into a spare mixer input?

Alternatively, build or buy a switchbox:
    http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?id=4473&type=6

Hmmmmmm, does it happen if you turn the power to the PC off? I dont think that it would matter how many connections you have connected. Is the out put from the mixer powered or amplified? I presume that you are taking it out of the line out connection on the mixer. I dont see how it could cause a problem. I have often had many devices running in to My Hi-Fi.

john

Advertisement