Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FPS

• 27-03-2001 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

I play games (mainly counterstrike) quite a lot and lately it seems that my FPS is very sluggish. I tried tweaking from several guides and I got no joy whatsoever.

My setup:
    P3 500
    256mb ram
    Diamond TNT2 ultra 32mb
    SB Live! oem
    Abit BH6 mobo
    decent Maxtor hdds (cant remember id)
    Win 2k (seems the same in 98)
    DX 8

When running halflife/counterstrike in 800x600 mode, 16bit colour, OpenGL, my FPS seems to constantly jerk between 29-30. It never goes over 30 except when i look at (eg.) the background or a black wall, then it jumps straight to 60. When i turn around again, its back down to 30. There are no exceptions.. ive never seen it get anything else other than 30 and 60.
    When I get into fights it can drop as low as 10 (especially on cs_militia).
    Does this sound normal? Im fairly sure that HL played smoother on my old pII.
    Even when I try tweaking (lo_models, fast sprite draw, gl_texturemodes, decal limits) it still acts identical to the un tweaked setup. (Identical I say! not a change at all in FPS, it just looks worse to me)

Any ideas? Or maybe someone can suggest a tweak guide that I havent tried before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

If you can get your hands on a Geforce or Geforce 2 that will give your machine a shot in the arm.

Does sound kinda low, even for your system though. If you dont have anything important on the machine and have some free time, try a reinstall of win2k. Sometimes its just a weird little problem that a reinstall will sort out.

Make sure you have the latest detonator drivers for your card.

I dont play CS but I have a similar spec machine (except I have a Geforce) and I get a fairly steady 110 - 125 fps in quake 3. So realisticly you should be able to get higher fps on your machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I play counter-strike in OpenGL 800x600 with a set of two-week-old drivers for my aging Voodoo 3 3000.
    System: 128mb ram; P3 500
    Seventy frames per second is what I get tongue.gif

Nil Desperandum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Hmmm Fidelis, I have a PIII 733mhz, 192mb Ram, 10.2 gig hdd, also a voodoo 3300 I get 72 fps out of it as well but it does drop to a minimum of 30.......which is acceptable in open areas or big firefights but are you telling me your fps sits at 72 solid????

I don't think it would cause on my older comp with a pIII550 I only got 72 looking at a wall and as low as 20 in open areas in big firefights confused.gif

What OS are you using and how much tweaking have you done, btw have you got the overclocking utility for the v3300 cause I don't have a backup of it, you could DCC it to me wink.gif or better still mail it to me at paddyfrog@hotmail.com purty pls wink.gifbiggrin.gif

OH Boro try http://www.tweak3d.net/ there are some nice tips etc in there.

http://www.tweakfiles.com/ is also helpful methinks wink.gif

[This message has been edited by tactical anni (edited 27-03-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

P3-700@945
    V3 2000 @ 175mhz

i get pretty constant 72fps at 1024x768, i know my cpu is pretty fast, but even when i have it at 700mhz the fps are the same, maybe its time for a new gfx card smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Tbird 900mhz and a Geforce 2 GTS give a pretty solid 100fps, smoke grenades rea;;y eat your fps though, especially on the finest detail, forcing it down to maybe 60 fps, but it's locked at 100 otherwise smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

did you disable all your background progs, as they are evil memory hogging bast@rds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Sod gf2 gimme gimme da gf3

Stone biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Celeron II - 700 / 192 megs / Geforce 1 DDR - 80 FPS smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by El_Presidente:
    ...Make sure you have the latest detonator drivers for your card...</font>

i tend to disagree
    i have a p3 500 192 ram and a TNT2 (not ultra)
    and any time i upgrade to new Drivers for the tnt my fps take a dive frown.gif

i end up going back to the older drivers immeadiatly
    its stimply be cause the new drivers are, logically enuff - optimised for the newer geforce and gf2 cards
    so i stick with the old det0nat0r drivers
    if u can lay ur hands on em they shood in prove fps a bit

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

[This message has been edited by StrataGIST (edited 30-03-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I agree with Strata,the detonator drivers have done nothing for my tnt2 m64.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The official detonator 6.5 drivers work a HELL of a lot better for me than the unofficial beta 10.x drivers - The 10's really crippled my frame rate. (Using a geforce 2 GTS).

- Munch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

OK thanks to all who replied, using some of the stuff mentioned here and a tnt2 tweak guide that i found at www.tweak3d.com my FPS has now increased from 30 to an average of around 70. Cheers all.

Boro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

other important thing is to make sure vsync is off, cause if it's on, your framerete will be a divisible of your refresh rate, thats why you were going from 60 to 30, refresh rate = 60/2 = 30fps, even if the computer was able to do 55fps

Advertisement