Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

and the Oscar goes to ....

• 25-03-2002 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

74th Annual Academy Awards
    i'm off to bed now but I thought anyone thats up watching the Oscars could post who won what. http://www.imdb.com/ will have a list updated every few mins.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

ACTRESS -- SUPPORTING
    Jennifer Connelly

Editing
    BLACK HAWK DOWN
    Pietro Scalia

COSTUME DESIGN
    MOULIN ROUGE
    Catherine Martin
    and Angus Strathie

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I was under the impression that Robert Mugabe would clean up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I'm sitting watching this like a fool, have to be up at 8 o clock in the morning :-/.

LOTR just won best cinematography......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Da_Kid

Some french guys who speak bad english in good french accents just won best documentary...bet you're disappointed you went to bed now...

Moulin Rouge just won best Art Direction, seems to be all Lotr and Moulin rouge so far for the "technical" awards, 2 each if I'm counting right.

Best animated feature film: Shrek

Oh and the guy presenting it had the first genuinely funny speech of the night.

Pearl Harbour won an oscar, heh. (Best sound editing)

Black HAwk Down won best sound I think it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Best Supporting Actor: Jim Broadbent for Iris

(beat you mills:) )

• Advertisement

Jim Broadbent won best supporting actor, I thought it was going to be an McKellen but what do I know :).

That's a phuking travesty, Ben Kingsley should have won his performance in Sexy Beast was one of the best I've ever seen...jesus, stupid academy...

Ooooh, some competition have I? I was taking my time because I thought I had nobody else reporting on the proceedings, I'll have you next time!

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS= LOTR

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA beat u both!!

Best Visual effects goes to: Lotr

I thought AI deserved it myself.....

<edit>Bah! Can we take it in turns? :) </edit>

Best original score: LotR

Well deserved......

...I gave u that 1...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Ah yes, posting Oscar Winners to a forum thread, the sport of kings.

Best original song: Monsters Inc..... "If I didn't have you"

Best Adapted screenplay: Beautiful Mind
    Best Original screenplay: Gosford Park

• Advertisement

Best foreign film: No man's land, bit of a surprise there, I thought Amélié was a shoe-in......

Best Acctress: Hale Berry, bit of an upset that, fair play to her :).

Um...Hale Berry went phuking hysterical...

She's STILL going :).

Denzel Washington won best actor.....wan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Denzel Washington gets the award for best actor...

[edit] damn you mills.

A beautiful mind gets best film... (owned mills). :d

[edit] gah typo.

Yeah you owned me good on those last 2 rich, considering I never tried to post either of them :).

Beautiful mind gets best picture, director, and supporting acctress, makes me think Russell's incident with the Baftas cost him it.

2? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Best Film - A Beautiful Mind

Best Director - Ron Howard (A Beautiful Mind)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Is it just me, or do ALL of Randy Newman's songs sound exactly the same?????

No Luck for the Irish this year, the two animated shorts lost out to For the Birds, the animated short that was in front of Monsters Inc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Fair play to the BBC :rolleyes: After fast forwarding through 3.5 hours of video tape the BBC coverage changed from BBC2 to BBC1 just as it was getting to the main awards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭IRISHLILY24

I cant believe beautiful mind beat LOTR, what is the academy coming too? I swear they get worse every year.
    I thought LOTR would come away with most of the oscars.
    Oscar sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

oh dear, halle berrys speech was woeful.. cringe at maximum strength.
    open the door for more black actresses?
    perhaps the doors been open for ages and nobodys been good enough to win anything? i sure as hell cant think of anyone or any particular performance worthy of an oscar.

as for washingtons performance in training day? good but very very typical denzel washington...

and memento should have at least been nominated. obviously their budget didnt stretch to bribing half of hollywood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by doubledown
    Is it just me, or do ALL of Randy Newman's songs sound exactly the same?????

Only when he's churning out movie tunes.

I hope Halle Berry is thoughly embarrased when she sees the tape today! Itwas right down there with Sally Fields' "You love me!, you really love me!!" speech.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Kali
    [open the door for more black actresses?
    perhaps the doors been open for ages and nobodys been good enough to win anything? i sure as hell cant think of anyone or any particular performance worthy of an oscar.

as for washingtons performance in training day? good but very very typical denzel washington...

QUOTE]

I agree on both accounts.
    They like to use Being "black" as an excuse for everything.
    And I was shocked by denzel's award, his performance was not oscar worthy, it was his usual acting....I think the award went to him to keep the theme going , ya know.
    I am not saying they dont have their problems, just that I think it's time to move on.
    That's just my opinion. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

My problem with Halle Berry's speech was that she seemed to invite the Academy to congratulate themselves at being so wise and generous as to give an award to, of all things, a black performer. I look forward to the day when two black performers win Oscars and nobody bats an eyelid. It's still some way away, I think.

And yeah, Denzel Washington seemed to be receiving the About Time We Gave Him One award. He's been brilliant before, far better than in Training Day.

Originally posted by shotamoose
    My problem with Halle Berry's speech was that she seemed to invite the Academy to congratulate themselves at being so wise and generous as to give an award to, of all things, a black performer. I look forward to the day when two black performers win Oscars and nobody bats an eyelid. It's still some way away, I think.

And yeah, Denzel Washington seemed to be receiving the About Time We Gave Him One award. He's been brilliant before, far better than in Training Day.

I AGREE ON ALL ACCOUNTS :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Kali
    and memento should have at least been nominated. obviously their budget didnt stretch to bribing half of hollywood.

It was; Best original Screenplay.

Although, I must say...
    It's a complete, total and utter TRAVESTY that Ian McKellan didn't win Best supporting actor.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    It's a complete, total and utter TRAVESTY that Ian McKellan didn't win Best supporting actor.
    Rubbish. Ben Kingsly's performance in Sexy Best was far superior.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Crowe acted well in A Beautiful Mind buit the film itself was very average - definately shouldn't have got best picture.

pvp20020325.gif

Originally posted by Draco
    Rubbish. Ben Kingsly's performance in Sexy Best was far superior.

I disagree.

Ian McKellan played faithfully, what is quite easily the best known literary character there is.

TRAVESTY I scream!

Although Ben Kingsley is nothing short of brilliant, he cannot contend.

Ian McKellan may have played 'faithfully', but Ben Kingsley's performance was FAR superior to any of the contenders. It was a genuinely enthralling and scary performance that McKellan didn't even come close to...I think your basing your opinion on the movie rather than the individual performances. Ben Kingsley definately should have taken it.

Originally posted by Da_Kid
    Ian McKellan may have played 'faithfully', but Ben Kingsley's performance was FAR superior to any of the contenders. It was a genuinely enthralling and scary performance that McKellan didn't even come close to...I think your basing your opinion on the movie rather than the individual performances. Ben Kingsley definately should have taken it.

Not at all...
    In my personal opinion, Ian McKellan was easily best.

I seriously didn't care if LOTR won best picture/director/actor/lifetime acheivement!
    All I wanted to see was McKellan win best supporting actor.

Although I still think that Kingsley was still brilliant, he always has been!
    Just not what came close to McKellan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

at least the LOTR gang have another 2 cracks of the whip :D

Originally posted by SheroN
    at least the LOTR gang have another 2 cracks of the whip :D

Yes, that's true.
    :D

Advertisement