Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael call for Flat rate... (INN)

Options
  • 25-03-2002 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hey all,

Listening to Red FM here in Cork, and the news at 1 and 2 am, which is provided by Independent Network News (who supply about 20 stations nationwide with news) carried a story about Jim Higgins from Fine Gael criticising the government for not forcing Telco's to move away from a per minute internet charge. He said it was especially hurting small business.

The story made the top story at 1:00, and the 3rd or 4th item at 2:00.
    INN don't have a website, and I couldn't find any mention of it anywhere else on the web.

BTW, Simon Coveny was on a chat show on RedFM earlier, and I sent in a text message asking what Fine Gael would do for flat rate. It was kinda sprung on him (he was there to talk about weekend voting), but he said that it was something that he felt was very important, and mentioned the lack of competition. Spoke for a minute or two. The host (from the US, joked that Ireland might finally get wired..)

Tim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Originally posted by timod
    Hey all,

Listening to Red FM here in Cork, and the news at 1 and 2 am, which is provided by Independent Network News (who supply about 20 stations nationwide with news) carried a story about Jim Higgins from Fine Gael criticising the government for not forcing Telco's to move away from a per minute internet charge. He said it was especially hurting small business.

The story made the top story at 1:00, and the 3rd or 4th item at 2:00.
    INN don't have a website, and I couldn't find any mention of it anywhere else on the web.

BTW, Simon Coveny was on a chat show on RedFM earlier, and I sent in a text message asking what Fine Gael would do for flat rate. It was kinda sprung on him (he was there to talk about weekend voting), but he said that it was something that he felt was very important, and mentioned the lack of competition. Spoke for a minute or two. The host (from the US, joked that Ireland might finally get wired..)

Tim

timod,

What a great bit of news too wake up too. Must switch on the radio to listen to my local Radio News. Inn contribute it.

Sunds as though this might "Become" an electio issue.

Thanks again for the tip off - "Pure Magic" - , Great start to the day and the "Week.

Yours,paddy20.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Yu know.. its very easy to criticise when your in opposistion.
    shure! what do you thing we! have all been doing for the past few month on the board!?

Being a critic is not being productive.
    Actions speak louder than words, and so far there not much action? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

it was on 98FM's news this morning at 8 too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

flat rate isdn is pretty much the best thing i can look forward to now that eircom have told me to Foff with the idea of adsl, so any progress in this area is good news... comon comms bill, where are thou?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by ando
    flat rate isdn is pretty much the best thing i can look forward to now that eircom have told me to Foff with the idea of adsl

yes
    if the do something like introduce flat rate 56k and not for isdn il go fúcking mental :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

in the indo...

Internet usage is 'too dear'

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=718226&issue_id=7106

THE HIGH cost of internet access is having a major negative effect on small businesses and job creation, according to the Fine Gael spokesman on enterprise, Mr Jim Higgins.

He said: "In Ireland the per minute system is costing up to Euro2,000 per month while only using ISDN. In Finland, the monthly flat rate is Euro45, in the US and Poland it costs Euro35."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

sits tight and waits for ff call for flat rate.

well done anyway, nice to see someone calling the Td's on internet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

well done anyway, nice to see someone calling the Td's on internet

Jim Higgins is a T.D. Mayo I believe. Howard Brittan, the new Chair of the Lobbying Working Group, met with him last week. Coincidence? I think not.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

In fairness Fine Gael are calling for everything for everyone..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

S' ver easy for the opposition to call for things.

I'd rather they set forward a detailed document showing how it was to be paid for, if it was not per minute access.
    Would he be suggesting that they force eircom to introduce friaco? How? its no longer semi state.
    Would he suggest the gov subisdise it? Where do we raise the money? what other service will he cut back on?

I think it is cynical election politics.

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Xterminator
    S' ver easy for the opposition to call for things.

I'd rather they set forward a detailed document showing how it was to be paid for, if it was not per minute access.
    Would he be suggesting that they force eircom to introduce friaco? How? its no longer semi state.
    Would he suggest the gov subisdise it? Where do we raise the money? what other service will he cut back on?
    It can only be done by empowering the Regulator to force it. Jim Higgins is not going to go into detail on a 5 minute radio slot but the important thing is that the issue is getting an airing.
    I think it is cynical election politics.
    That is all you can expect in the run up to the election. No decisions will be made this side of the election.

On the issue of how FRIACO will be paid for, I believe Fergus has tracked down information from Oftel that says that FRIACO is viable for all parties involved at a particular fee level (GPB£15?); and that hardware upgrades are not a significant issue because rollouts can be handled on an ongoing basis, with costs shared between the incumbent and OLO's who wish to make the service available. There is no question of government intervention on funding, because it is not required. Eircom's argument of non-viability is facetious.

As to this being election politics, well, of course it is. Is that particularly bad when a critical necessity on the path to connectedness - a necessity that has gone all but ignored by /all/ parties involved - is being put firmly on the table by the Opposition? I don't think so. Let's see what the incumbent Government has to say about it. If they don't say anything, we'll be next in line to have a go at them. The lack of a flat-rate service in Ireland is /wrong/, period. When someone highlights that, we should applaud them, not denigrate them.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

"Realistically a well managed ISP can sustain a £14.99 PM service" ISP Review article here.

Basically FRIACO isn't techincal plain sailing, but it's quite possible to manage to do it.. see independent study carried out for OFTEL here.

Thanks Fergus.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Glad this is getting the proper airing it deserves. As usual in Ireland we are all dreaming about adsl/vdsl/fibreoptic whatnots and so on, when in reality, the solution that could make a huge difference to internet acceptance in the state is right under our noses.

Im not saying that we should abandon plans to implement new technologies, but while we are waiting, some form of flat rate would be a huge improvement.

Particularly for people like myself, who does a bit of surfing, online gaming etc but no real need to download 800m gigs of linux distros etc each month. As I have outlined on the adsl thread, I believe adsl will be more expensive for me at its introduction, and wont necessarily give me anything better than what I've got at the moment.

Incidentally, I was on the Barrysworld Rocket Arena 3 server [in the UK for those that dont know] the other day, pinging 50-70. A number of people came on and started complaining about the servers lag (they were pinging 125-175). I said it was fine for me and enquired what connections they were on. Two of them were on BTO ADSL !!!! and the other NTL cable. One of the guys claimed to be geographically about 4 miles from the BW server!!!!!!!!!!

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Quorthon
    Incidentally, I was on the Barrysworld Rocket Arena 3 server [in the UK for those that dont know] the other day, pinging 50-70

i take it your on isdn?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I know i shouldnt get excited about it...but I cant help it. Although I'd rather get ISDN flat rate internet, I couldnt care if its 56k.

But please answer this honestly -
    Do you beleive anything will come of this?

Originally posted by dahamsta
    On the issue of how FRIACO will be paid for, I believe Fergus has tracked down information from Oftel that says that FRIACO is viable for all parties involved at a particular fee level (GPB£15?); and that hardware upgrades are not a significant issue because rollouts can be handled on an ongoing basis, with costs shared between the incumbent and OLO's who wish to make the service available. There is no question of government intervention on funding, because it is not required. Eircom's argument of non-viability is facetious.

As to this being election politics, well, of course it is. Is that particularly bad when a critical necessity on the path to connectedness - a necessity that has gone all but ignored by /all/ parties involved - is being put firmly on the table by the Opposition? I don't think so. Let's see what the incumbent Government has to say about it. If they don't say anything, we'll be next in line to have a go at them. The lack of a flat-rate service in Ireland is /wrong/, period. When someone highlights that, we should applaud them, not denigrate them.

adam

Dahamsta, Adam.

Well would you beleive it - I agree with you once again - your comments " Sharp and to the point" Nice one.

Question:- Re: Your Quote- " Lets see what the incumbent Government has to say about. If they don"t say anything, we"ll be next in line to "HAVE" a go at them." end quote.

I really do hope you your all your influence and the Lobbying working Goups "behind the scenes" efforts and obvious "clout" I for one need Ireland OFFline and your voluntery - Committee - to go "Public now". Please make this an "Election" issue by educating the - general public - computer literate and those who are on the brink of getting their -first computer- of the hidden online usage " Sky high - rip off- charges they will face when they get thrie first bill from EIRCOM?. This cost is never mentioned by those "Businessmen" involved in the "manufacture" of computers - Direct selling of same & or the massive retail chains "Who are reaping in fortunes" but to the best of my knowledge - have NOT spoken out in support of " Ireland OFFlines essential "Campaign" for a fair deal for "ALL"

Finally, can I quote something I read which I believe underlines my point. Quote:- Forrester Research - " The Irish e-commerce market will be worth IEP3.4 billion in 2002" end quote. From source:- ElectricNews.net:News The Bottom Line: on-line shopping.

Good Luck, Yours, paddy20. (Penniless but getting more hopeful by the minute):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I bet Eircom own at least half of that €3.4 Billion... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Originally posted by ando

i take it your on isdn?

Yes, my point although possibly obscurely made :D, is that a flat rate ISDN product would suit me fine now. ADSL, while potentially wonderful is likely to be more expensive and [for what i do on the internet] not as good.

I cant imagine that Eircons implementation is likely to be any more efficient than BT's.

Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 dromoland

To timod:

Thank you for initiating this valuable thread.

To all other members:

A little earlier I emailed Jim Higgins at jim.higgins@oireachtas.ie
    to compliment the said politician for his criticism of the Government for not taking the telcos to task over the per minute internet charge. I told him not only is he right that this is hurting small business but also grossly unfair on the thousands of ordinary voters inclusing the disabled and housebound whereby a certain technology available now, namely FRIACO, is deliberately withheld in the name of profiteering.

I also emailed the leader of the Fine Gael Party john.bruton@oireachtas.ie to make similar points.

I would encourage others who visit this forum to do the same.

The Fine Gael Party are showing poorly in the opinion polls despite the almost daily revelations from tribunals and the media regarding corruption and financial scandals among certain members of Fianna Fail.

If enough people send emails to Higgins and Buton it's bound to be noticed in a party desperate for every vote they can muster and we may well then here more from them on this issue, forcing the Government to respond.

To Dahamsta:

Your threat to take the incumbent Government to task over the lack of flat-rate is heartning and reinvigorates my faith in this excellent forum.

dromoland

I also emailed the leader of the Fine Gael Party john.bruton@oireachtas.ie to make similar points.

Michael Noonan will be pleased...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dromoland

Thank you Dahamsta for pointing out my error. At least I hope it gives a few people a good laugh. I even can't help laughing myself at my own stupidity.

I've had a very long day since 6.30 am this morning hence the mistake I guess.

I've just checked my "Sent" emails and it was actually michael.noonan@oireachtas.ie I emailed. I hope he doesn't demand an apology.

Regards,

dromoland.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Originally posted by Quorthon

Yes, my point although possibly obscurely made :D, is that a flat rate ISDN product would suit me fine now. ADSL, while potentially wonderful is likely to be more expensive and [for what i do on the internet] not as good.

I cant imagine that Eircons implementation is likely to be any more efficient than BT's.

Q

well that would be perfect for me. I'm in a simliar situation and sick of paying €250 or so every 2 months just for playing games online. A friend of mine had adsl on trial and even to irish servers he was only getting 100 ping while i was getting 40-50 on my 64k ISDN. Even flat rate 64k instead of 128K would be better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

The Fine Gael Party are showing poorly in the opinion polls despite the almost daily revelations from tribunals and the media regarding corruption and financial scandals among certain members of Fianna Fail.

Yet it looks like the majority of people will still vote for FF. Do we as a nation have some chromsomes missing somewhere?

Originally posted by pork99

Yet it looks like the majority of people will still vote for FF. Do we as a nation have some chromsomes missing somewhere?

As a people, citizens of this Nation.

I believe we most certainly do have something "missing".
    Maybe a lack of "Confidence" in ourselves as "ordinary citizens" and "LOW" Self esteem is rampant.

Good one - "pork99"

Yours, paddy20.;)

Advertisement