Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I want to put a second HD in my laptop

• 25-03-2002 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100, 20 gig internal hard drive. It's beginning to fill up with mp3s etc. I hear you can add a second hard disk in the media bay of this machine (where the floppy is currently). I just have a few questions:
    1. Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a laptop hard drive online?
    2. Do I need an adapter/tray/caddy to fit a hard disk into the Inspiron's media bay?
    Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Dont know much about dell laptops directly but with most others if theres a place for the drive to go you need a casing for the drive to fit into so the pins line up (etc...) might be best contacting dell and double checking first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

most laptops cant fit 2nd HD's - theres no room for them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    most laptops cant fit 2nd HD's - theres no room for them..
    My Dell Inspiron can though. There's a swappable "media bay" which can take a 2nd battery/floppy/2nd HD/CDRW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Most of them have a switching bay - eg gateway 5300 and 9300.
    But its best to clarify this first I know that the 5300 second hard drive is only supported in the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

From experience,
    Dell will have made the connection to the bay proprietary. This means you hav to buy the Dell solution. There may be 3rd party companies which make these up.

A phone call to dell sales will clear this up.

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Xterminator
    A phone call to dell sales will clear this up.
    Thanks -- I'll get on to them this afternoon,

Advertisement