Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do u SET UP a Net cafe?

Options
  • 25-03-2002 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I've posted this on the Work Forum as well

OK,

I know we hada disscussion abou this last week. (ON THE WORK FORUMS)

I have been mentioning the idea of setting up a Net cafe, down the country to a few people over the weekend.

To tell the truth they have been nearly all against it.

But hey, I'm a stubborn B*****d and i want to look into further.

So , does anyone know, how would i go about find out what facts and figures i need to know.

Say I need 10 Pcs only, server, software etc. How much new, second hand or should I rent/ lease

What about maintenance?

Could i learn myself or is ait a case of having someone fulltime?

To tell the truth, Iwould just like to have somewhere to hand out in my home town. Maybe sella bit of coffee. I am a web designer, so i would hope to continue, and keep a few shillings coming in

i.e. not look out the window hoping people would come in and send email.

If you dont know how i could find out this info, maybe where i could start looking would be good

ThanksPeace Y'all
    Manonthemoon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Huh? What's this got to do with creating websites? Explain yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

A/S/L?

25/m/bristol/bi - msg me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Designers often know people involved in other parts of IT.

Maybe, just maybe, a designer who reads this may know someone who owns, runs a internet cafe?

It was just a thought, MAN

Explaination not sufficient. Web designers know fup all about setting up Netcafes and you know it bubba.

However, seeing as there's no real other place for it to go, and I'm in a good mood because I've just found an Elvis track I was searching for for ages I shall be generous and leave this off-topic post open.

Thank you , Thank you so much.
    You have wisdom beynd your years. You make me so happy with your judgement

Oh yeah,

Manonthemoon sucks the c**k of SATAN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Elvis sucks the c**k of SATAN

Just for that he should close the thread.

On a cold and grey Chicago morning..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭retneil

Hi there,
    First u need to decide on the bandwidth u are going to use.
    IE: Number of computers or phones if international calling is going to be in place.

Next the software req.

Network configuration of system's to all use the isdn line which is probably the best option unless ur opening up a cafe with over 50 machines.

Get the ISDN line of eircom or whoever that is the first thing to be getting ready..
    Whil awaiting that ur gonna need a few hubs so setup a network with all the host machines and confirm connectivity is allright.

Fairly easy to setup once u have a handle on how u want the network setup ie WINS, DHCP etc.. Decide on the OS remember W2K is not a true gaming system so win98SE will be required.
    Getting graphics card drivers and sound drivers is also time consuming..
    If using Phone calls get voice over ip with the ISDN if phones will be used much (ie: location where setting up has lots of foreign people living then perhaps 2 isdn channels are req.)
    Proabbly best to start with one and see the performance u are gaining.
    If its more consider renting bandwidth which is a huge cost of about 15G irish to get started for a year..
    Depends on specifically how many machines are req.
    Second hand machines for 10. Low p 2's should suffice should cost next to nothing about 300 a pop tops (for the box)..
    Consider checking out auctions with batches of systems.
    Also need a monitoring tool for length of time each user uses cafe.
    Can code that yourself or get a shareware prog. off the network.
    U could learn how to do it no probs but u will need time..
    I completly believe web cafes are little gold mines...
    Send pm if need more info

Thanks retneil,

I will have a closer look later on. Would you (or anyone else) know about the cost of such an operation. Say cafe with 10 PC's.

If not where would i go to get costs.

Also retneil, you said

"Send pm if need more info"
    whats a pm?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭retneil

Hi manonthemoon.. Sorry bout not getting back earlier (one of those days..).
    PM - Send a message usually am logged into boards so can send a message that i will recieve quicker than looking at the threads.
    Rent is dependant on where ur setting up so thats up to urself to find out.

Heres the spec on an eircom high speed line:
    For just an extra 86 cent per day, eircom hi-speed allows you to benefit from faster and better quality surfing. You also get a second phone line so you can do two things at once. You can make a call while on the Internet, for instance, or receive a call and send a fax at the same time. That's why it's never been better value to upgrade your phone line.
    Charges
    Your eircom hi-speed line incurs a once-off connection fee of 125.70, and a monthly fee of 44.55 applies thereafter. It costs just 1.26c per minute to surf the net at evenings and weekends, while normal telephone rates are applied for local, national and international voice and data calls. Using two channels (128kbps) means you'll be charged for two calls.
    All prices quoted include VAT @ 21%.
    In exceptional circumstances where the time taken to perform internal wiring exceeds 1.5 hours, additional service charges will apply.

On top of that u will need probably 2 hubs costing max of 100 each (should pay only 65 punt i reckon tops maybe 40 punt).

10 NIC (Network Interface Cards) cards cost around 15-20 pounds each.
    Better to go at the top range so as any costs not appearing now budget will be able to handle.

10 Systems maximum spend 200 on each system (excluding monitors.)

Virus software is a must have. Not sure of prices.

Instead of using MS Office would be possible to use StarOffice (same functionality for a fraction of the cost).

Main cost will be monitors approx 150 each.

Make sure u get someone who has a fair idea about hardware costs before spending 10cent. Will work out cheaper when talking with someone whos trying to sell hardware to you.

Apart from that not much else to think about.. Would suggest getting phone lines in for foreign calls as u can run them over your isdn line using voice over ip for a very cheap rate and make it profitable.

Where u thinking of setting up?

All prices in punt unless otherwise stated.
    Drop us a line if u need more info..
    By the way where are you thinking of setting up this cafe

There we go, cheers Retneil. Thread locked. Don't push it Manonthemoon. That is all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement