Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Powernet Wireless Service info

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

Is this marketing snakeoil or has anyone actually managed to get this yet?

And no seeing an in house demo doesn't count?

I'm starting to think this is sort of like the uk alta vista unmetered dial up fiasco...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spod:
    Is this marketing snakeoil or has anyone actually managed to get this yet?

And no seeing an in house demo doesn't count?

I'm starting to think this is sort of like the uk alta vista unmetered dial up fiasco...
    </font>

Like NTL, they are required roll out digital services. However, since NTL backed out of it (and got away with it), chorus may try and withdraw the offer some time in the future.

On the subject of shared bandwidth. This is the standard way of delivering cable modem services. Say 50 houses are in a 'node'. The total bandwidth is something less than 512k * 50. If not too many others are using their maximum capacity, it means that you may get 512kbps. However if a load of others are downloading big files, then everyone including those downloading get less than 512kbps. In countries with cablemodem and dsl services (and it's a lot of countries now) people find that during peak hours their available band width drops considerably. In some cases it goes down to about 56kbps, the same as an ordinary modem. However the latency is always lower and it's still an "always on" connection. In a properly balanced system it should not go below 200kbps. This is still a lot better than ISDN. And of course it's flat rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

...THE UPDATE?.....
    yes, i am still waiting...papers signed...faxed thru.....any day now...any day now they will come walking up my driveway....hoo.hooo....hoooooo...i just cant tell u...im as giddy as a schoolgirl......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Moriarty:
    Kali, it isnt shared in the sense your thinking about (if i understand you right smile.gif )</font>

thats ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Update: Week two
    ..and so it begins...it's monday a full week from my papersigning. Not much accomplisehd last week at all. Bit of advice for you. One of those numbers chorus is advertising is not chorus at all, but a marketing company. If you spoke with Liza then you spoke with the marketing company.

DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THE MARKETING company. Basically they will tell you its now in Chorus' hands, and surprise! when you ring Chorus they will tell you that it's in the marketing companies hands. Liza is a very heplful very pleasant person and she really went out of her way to help me...

Then when i ring chorus itself, the woman (i wont give her name) is curt, matter of fact, and downright (p|ss off i dont get commission you loser) unhelpful.

So, i will update at the end of the week, really this is the week i expect anything to happen if it's going to. and as the eircom isdn bill is looming in my future, id like to have the old wireless in so i can take - oh as many years to pay them as its gonna take to get adsl from them ;P

yankinlk

212.120.138.69 bayridge cs server

• Advertisement
Advertisement