Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB and Broadband

Options
  • 25-03-2002 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi

HAs anyone heard anymore on the possibilty of the ESB supplying their own DSL service, I herd about it a whil back, but its gone quiet since.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

From what I can tell.. they are currently looking to be a backhaul wholesale carrier, not end user.. and their primary target market to supply is one of the 3G telephone networks, and perhaps telcos providing DSL, should these come along.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Perhaps I'm wrong, but won't ESB and Bord Gais fibre also be used to interconnect the fibre rings that will (allegedly) be created by the new Government initiative?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

That's the plan afaik. Still backhaul market though.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

They were in negotiations with Orange up until recently regarding their fibre optic network, but these were ended. I'll try t find out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

This came up on the boards a while ago and there was speculation about broadband to the home over the lecky cables.

Someone got in touch with ESB and they said that they wern't going to sell to end users (even to corporations) but rather they were going to sell to other telcos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I heard before christmas that they had setup a HR dept to start looking for people to work in the new broadband dept. The guy I heard it from only mentioned it in passing so it may not be true.

"IF" this is the case then I think it is still going to be a long long time before they will have a product ready for market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but won't ESB and Bord Gais fibre also be used to interconnect the fibre rings that will (allegedly) be created by the new Government initiative?

adam

What and have the mind numbingly wasteful bureaureacy that runs this country actually do something useful with itself and state resources, now why would it want to do a thing like that when it could just waste more public money on hair brained dark fibre?

I think there is more chance of martians landing in the Phoenix park then there is of government intervention 'aside from slapping eircom' doing anything to actually bring broadband to this country, so why would such a wasteful litany of poor governance and waste of public money stop any time soon? Personally I think this entire idea is just a cynical election year promise and that if and when broadband comes to the public it will be because either eircom has been forced to downprice it's wholesale quotes or eircom decides on whim to do the same.

Advertisement