Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boston, Typedef, Gerry, Logic, Celt, Dustaz and all you other TOTAL JESSIES.

• 25-03-2002 3:49pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Stop whinging at me with your hand-bags-at-dawn little itchy bitchy fúcking sniping attacks at each other.
    You are all trolling and baiting each other and running to me like I'm your feckin mother.

Warnings:
    Dustaz, cut the **** with links like that in your sig.
    Boston, I'm finding a new mod for MS. You know why.
    Typedef, dont raise to their bait and be big enough to walk away.You are a good mod, just calm on the techno-arguments.
    Gerry, wtf? why are you getting so heated about this? This isnt like you...
    Logic, Celt quit stirring. Yes you are. Celt you are some chancer to complain about people who have a previous account on Boards that they didnt want to be associated with.

I come back from holidays to find a bunch of whinging crap I dont need. if you have some *genuine* complaints point me at specific problems. What I see at the moment is a clique fight spreading itself from IRC to boards and back again. Noone of you are as innocent as you claim.
    My next step is to start just banning people and let God sort it out because its more trouble then its worth.

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

why am i being removed as a moderator, as far as i can see ive done a fine job and never once abused my power.

im very active on that forum. sorry i dont understand why im being punished in this fashion.

you once said you had no feelings towards me one way or another.

you told me if i owned up to you, you would watch my back

If you determined to ban me, then i request that Renton take my place as mod at the forum. he knows his stuff and people seem to respect him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Boston a word of advice mate. Discuss this with Dev in a PM or on IRC if hes about.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I must protest! Boston is a good mod... muppetry on other forums aside I see nothing wrong with his moderatoring abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

jessie Noun, uk slang

1. A feeble, easily scared person, a softy. Derog.

Never heard that one before, cheers Tom :)

azezil, you're either extremely gullible or extremely - well nevermind. Hopefully for your sake you're just extremely gullible. You can't have any mod being a muppet on any board, why should it be ok to act the prick just cos he isn't doing it on own board?

Al.

hmm did you read devores post, no one involved in this is innocent. and last i looked we were all mods involved. so why am i being singled out.

• Advertisement

[edit]
    he's not the only one, so i don't see why he should be singled out and not the rest.[/edit]*

*had to edit, was singleing out myself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

People should read carefully the following:

"people may think you're a gob****e, but once you open your mouth they know you're a gob****e"

that is all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

DeV, I gotta say that unless dropping Boston as mod of MS Apps/OS is specifically a punishment for his muppetry on other forums, I don't see any reason to remove him. I don't think there's been anything even approaching a flame war on MS Apps/OS yet, and as far as I can see, Boston hasn't tried or needed to slap anyone down, justly or unjustly. Course, if it is punishment, I withdraw my objection. :)

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Boston, I'm reconsidering, but frankly your behaviour often reflects a lack of patience and an ability to fly off the handle at people who disagree with you. Not qualities I want in a mod, on the other hand you seem to tend the MS board decently.
    I'm not singling you out at all, you are *all* walking on thin ice as you have all been sniping and baiting each other. I've spoken to Gerry about all this and he's explained a few things to me which I accept.

I've my **** kicking boots on and they are still covered in CS blood.

DeV.

mind pm'ing me what Gerry said to you, cause im at a lost to what the guys problem is. As you said he seems to be getting usually hot headed over this.

Id like to come to some kind of agreed arrangement on protocol.

my problem with gerry basically is his particular brand of sarcasm tend to get up my nose.

Ive really no problem with people bitching and moaning about me on IRC,( I avoid that thing like the plague cause that type of person is there. ) if it relieves their pent up frustration. once I don't hear about it on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by DeVore
    Stop whinging at me with your hand-bags-at-dawn little itchy bitchy fúcking sniping attacks at each other.
    You are all trolling and baiting each other and running to me like I'm your feckin mother.

DeV.

Bit of a ridiculous statement really seeing as you requested us to report any posts we found offensive last night but today you want us to stop reporting them?

I haven't once ran to you. Before yesterday I'd never reported a post to you or complained to you about any other user until you specifically asked me so I personally resent this comment.

Besides the fact you're not pretty enough to be my mother.

Now either we report the posts we find offensive to you and you sort it out or we don't bother reporting anything to you and this situation continues.

Pretty black and white as far as I can see.

.logic.

Logic I think Dev looked at what your gripes were, saw that they were probably excrement and has acted & posted accordingly. All I can say is that none of you have done your reps any favours with the posts here over the last few days.

The reason I have gotten involved is I have had to clean up some of this tripe on the Politics board and believe me if it continues over there you will see why I have been called a facist.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Boston, I'm reconsidering, but frankly your behaviour often reflects a lack of patience and an ability to fly off the handle at people who disagree with you. Not qualities I want in a mod, on the other hand you seem to tend the MS board decently.
    Dev, can you try find out the number of posts he has deleted on that board? Other people have told me on irc he deletes a lot of their posts, but I have no idea of the actual number.
    Any flame wars on apps/os i have seen have been quickly deleted(not edited or locked) and I have seen boston delete peoples replies because they have taken snipes at him in other forums.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Gandalf is right, I got a few different PM's mails and irc discussions about this today.

Frankly, apart from practising your (plural) collective sniping skills at each other and whapping out your technical knobs to see who has biggest I dont yet see a genuine complaint.
    Then you get up each others noses due to someone getting a version number wrong and before we know where we are its keyboards at dawn.

There are a limited number of people involved in this, but it comes down to

1. Think before you flame, in fact think before you post.

2. Judicious use of the IGNORE feature. Dustaz can show you all where to find it...

3. Relaxing and letting things slide. Boston, you need to read 3 again.

Nit picking, spelling correcting, blatant troll/flame/baiting, smart-alec-ness and general superiority complexes are causing this storm in a tea-cup to become bigger then it should... which should be about one click on the "next" button.

DeV.

ps: Logic, I asked for links to abusive or uncivil posts, which I have yet to get. Ironically one person reposted a thread on which I considered *their* posts to be the worst offences.

Originally posted by Celt

Dev, can you try find out the number of posts he has deleted on that board? Other people have told me on irc he deletes a lot of their posts, but I have no idea of the actual number.

Heres a perfect example of hit-n-run baiting.
    "Other people have told me".... why havent "other people" told me then? Who are these mysterious "other people". Name them... or PM me the names so I can verify these acts of power abuse. Otherwise this is heresay convienently difficult to verify and quite difficult to refute.

Any flame wars on apps/os i have seen have been quickly deleted(not edited or locked) and I have seen boston delete peoples replies because they have taken snipes at him in other forums.

OS flame wars are my pet hate. They should be stamped on hard as I said in the charter.

You claim to have SEEN Boston delete peoples replies because of personal malice? Who? Indeed HOW did you see this happen... were you in the room? were you monitoring every post on the MS board?
    DaHamsta seems quite active on that board and has no problem with Boston....

Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere...

DeV.

afaik ive deleted posts for 3 people, and edited maybe 4.

the only people to have problems with this were you and santahoe. your posts were baltanly off topic, but not just that they had the potencial to become flames.as shown if deleting one post will stop a flame before it starts then im happy to do it. look at it this way, i dont rub your nose in it,

on odds id say dahamsta has moved, deleted or locked more threads/posts then me. i find it doubtfull you were talking to people(pural) about me deleting posts. there are two mods, dont persume its me doing to deleting.

OS flame wars are my pet hate. They should be stamped on hard as I said in the charter.

You claim to have SEEN Boston delete peoples replies because of personal malice? Who? Indeed HOW did you see this happen... were you in the room? were you monitoring every post on the MS board?
    DaHamsta seems quite active on that board and has no problem with Boston....

Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere...

DeV.

if you search the forum you will find several post by celt, even maybe one or two i could have deleted but didnt cause i knew the hassel it would cause me. i have never deleted full threads, i have merged one or two polls and that was it.

if i wanted to hassle him for snips he made in other forums i wouldnt waste my time deleting post id just ban him from viewing the forum.

i didnt do any of this because i feel people need to know that they can still deagree with me on the forum and i wont delete there stuff. i need posters like sico and logic and shinji on the forum more then they need me, and as arrogant as i seem to be i except that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I'm sure Azeliz, Boston and Typedef are great mods on there own boards. Doesn't stop them being muppets. I slag muppets.

But the cats back... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

yeah and i was making such an effort to get along with every body too :(

Back in the Muppet Pile I Go...Sob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Done. The link didnt work anyway because..

2. Judicious use of the IGNORE feature. Dustaz can show you all where to find it...

Somewhere in Clouds inventive mind, because you cant ignore moderators. Thats the main reason i went with the sig thing.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by gandalf
    Logic I think Dev looked at what your gripes were, saw that they were probably excrement and has acted & posted accordingly.

Thanks for being Devs spokesman Gandalf, I'll consult you in future if I ever need to speak with him. Besides the fact that you haven't seen any of my gripes or my discussions with Devore sounds like you're simply baiting.
    All I can say is that none of you have done your reps any favours with the posts here over the last few days.

Luckily I care neither for my so called "rep" or your opinion.
    The reason I have gotten involved is I have had to clean up some of this tripe on the Politics board

Of the 4 (approx.) times I've posted on politics none of the have had to be edited.
    and believe me if it continues over there you will see why I have been called a facist.
    Gandalf.

I've never seen or heard of you being called a facist but please take your self professed "hard man of boards" attitude elsewhere.

Gandalf is right,

Maybe I will just consult him in future then :rolleyes:
    Frankly, apart from practising your (plural) collective sniping skills at each other and whapping out your technical knobs to see who has biggest I dont yet see a genuine complaint.
    Then you get up each others noses due to someone getting a version number wrong and before we know where we are its keyboards at dawn.

Well I haven't posted on any Tech related threads where there have been Boston incidents afair. Simply observing them degenerating into flame wars is tedious enough.
    There are a limited number of people involved in this

I think there's alot more people involved in this than post in relation to the matter.

As has been said we can't ignore mods.
    3. Relaxing and letting things slide.

Fair enough I can do this and am quite happy to. TBH I don't have a problem with Typedef himself it's the effect he seems to have on threads which immediately result in them turning into huge piles of poo which is the most annoying part.
    Nit picking, spelling correcting, blatant troll/flame/baiting, smart-alec-ness and general superiority complexes are causing this storm in a tea-cup to become bigger then it should...

I agree to a certain extent but I think all of the threads start off in good faith and degenerate due to someone pointing out a flaw in anothers theories which then result in immediate "I'm right you're wrong" flamefests. I don't think anyone has a partcular grudge against anyone else (I certainly don't) some people just need to except that everything they say isn't automatically correct, on the other side maybe the rebuttals could be made in a less threathening fashion.
    ps: Logic, I asked for links to abusive or uncivil posts, which I have yet to get. Ironically one person reposted a thread on which I considered *their* posts to be the worst offences.

Well that's fine. As I've said in mail I reported what I considered to be an abusive post and obviously you didn't.

I won't be reporting another thread as a matter of course but instead leave it up to your good judgement.

As an end I'll be avoiding all threads I can see degenerating from now on as I'd rather not have this constant flame crap all the time.

Boston I've no personal problem with you at all and am more than prepared participate in any sensible tech (or otherwise) conversations with you. You do seem to have a good level of technical expertise and I'd consider alot of your posts quite educational.

As for others who have been pulled into this (Dustaz I hate you j/k ;))

That is all.

.logic.

Originally posted by logic1
    Boston I've no personal problem with you at all and am more than prepared participate in any sensible tech (or otherwise) conversations with you. You do seem to have a good level of technical expertise and I'd consider alot of your posts quite educational.

.logic. [/B]

Glad to hear it. seems on certain forums i make alot of sense, on others i cant seem to make any.

strange that.

Btw gandalf your allright in my book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

And Thus peace is brought back to (the Galactic Republic) boards.ie

Kum Ba Yah,

My Lord,

Kum Ba Yah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Whose turn is it next to start the Monthly Intermod Flarewar?

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hmmm...if someone will make me a mod i'll be glad to accomodate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I have absolutely no compunction with agreeing with the criteria laid down by Devore, in fact it suits me just fine.

I had been mulling over the pros and cons of getting into a 'nuclear conflict' as it were with some of my peers and it was leaving a taste of 'why do I waste my time doing this', but seeing as how it seems we have all decided to start acting like big kids again I guess this is a non issue. Sure 'we' all can get into one of these pointless who can shout the loudest or throw the most audacious shape, but such pissing contests are pointless and entirely unintellegent.
    For people who have a problem with me there is a pm button.... use it.

Yes it is easy for people to degenerate into flame fests and to bait each other and delibrately deride each other, which is fine, it is in fact the nature of human society to group themselves and find a common enemy to struggle against. Thus we have been shown to be of lesser social evolution by allow such a fractious motif to permiate this marble sculpted utopia.

I cast the back to helll... to helll... I cast thee back to helll

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Whose turn is it next to start the Monthly Intermod Flarewar?

adam

So long as you don't troll on about Red Hat (¼) or KDE.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yay!

all is well in happy happy mod land again.

/me feels all warm and gooey inside........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

haha gandalf you're such a bloody comic shop owner, god bless ya.

Originally posted by Gandalf
    I have had to clean up some of this tripe on the Politics board and believe me if it continues over there you will see why I have been called a facist.
    knightriderwow.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    yay!

all is well in happy happy mod land again.

/me feels all warm and gooey inside........

I've just PM'ed devore that your sitting on my half of the board.. your in trouble now! :p

yeah?
    well i just 'reported this post to a moderator'

so there....

Are we there yet?

Originally posted by amp
    Are we there yet?

not much futher my little smurfs.....

Originally posted by Zero
    haha gandalf you're such a bloody comic shop owner, god bless ya.

Yawn :p

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Lads just wanted to point out for your own sanity and peace of mind that there is an option in the user cp which allows you to turn off sig viewing by default. I've been using it since we moved to the new boards, works great. Only thing I've missed is a couple of bubbles' "soap operas" :)

Al.

• Advertisement

Set my sig free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i think Boston is quite a good mod , most level headed it would be wrong 2 de-mod him

Originally posted by amp
    I'm sure Azeliz, Boston and Typedef are great mods on there own boards. Doesn't stop them being muppets. I slag muppets.

But the cats back... :)

In that case amp, we'd better rename you amp-maschoist.

ha ha muhaha
    / :D

As someone named in the topic, I should say that i didnt think this was ever about someones mod-ship abilities.
    i havent personally seen any modship abuse at. What i have seen is flames and i took part in those flames (actually, one thread was someone asking why they werent recieving the respect they thought they deserved, any replys to that i wouldnt consider flames.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Boston
    the only people to have problems with this were you and santahoe. your posts were baltanly off topic, but not just that they had the potencial to become flames.
    You're right, including a standard 'Atari Jaguar' option in an O/S poll was a delibirate troll on my part ... I dis-obeyed the clear warnings laid out in the MS Apps/OS board charter stating that no polls should have mention of said 'Atari Jaguar'.
    I will in future ensure that my polls are free of said 'Atari Jaguar' violations, and I shall accept editing and flaming of my poll by moderator of said forum with good humour and thanks.
    </sarcasm>
    I've been posting here a long time, and never before have I encountered such petty moderation.
    If you moderated your own posts as strictly, you wouldn't have half the negetive feedback you've been getting.

• Advertisement

Set my Atari Jaguar free!

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    I've been posting here a long time, and never before have I encountered such petty moderation.
    If you moderated your own posts as strictly, you wouldn't have half the negetive feedback you've been getting.

id have to agree with santahoe.
    a bit of road calming is in order.

maybe a bit more o fthe humourous side of life should be let in. and its not about who knows the more technical details.
    after all, i am the god of looking up technet, and im happy to do so. its not about knowledge, its about common sense.

you could all learn from me on that one.
    insert apropriate smilie.

the Atari option as I understand it, is a cop out for people who don't know or don't have an opinion. do you really think its relevant to a "what os do you use" topic.

Also you should thank me for allowing you to have that poll in the first place, though the board charter wasn't around at the time, devore had a clear guide in that these type of "who's os is best" things shouldn't be allowed which if I hadn't stepped in im sure it would have gone that way.

you say im petty, you would from your point of view, this seems to be very important to you that I dared to moderate you. you held it against me and stopped posting. it seems I deeply hurt your pride. to me it was just another tuesday

"what os do you use" topic.

Is alot different to:
    "who's os is best"

.logic.

is it, is it really?

i could see someone coming along and starting crap like,i use 98 because all the rest are ****e, and then the flames would start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Boston, baiting people will only get you flames.

is it, is it really?

i could see someone coming along and starting crap like,i use 98 because all the rest are ****e, and then the flames would start

win98 sucks.
    win2k is much better

yea that type of thing, which i know devore hates

anyway i cant be arsed talking about that event anymore. Pm devore if its that much of a problem

Eh Boston, I think somebody whacked off all over your sig. Ewwwwww.

i use 98 because all the rest are ****e
    thats a perfectly valid statement

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement