Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy X?

Options
  • 25-03-2002 5:35pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I just want to know if anyone has played this and what they think of it. I'm a big final fantasy fan and love all the games except VIII. I've played the demo of FFX and it seems very like FFVIII i.e. a load of ****. Is it overrated or a classic. And only reply if you know what your talking about and no smart answers form Prae please!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I've finished the game, but have just gone back to a savepoint to do stuff like Ultima and Omega Weapon, gathering the Legendary Weapons for my party and so on.

It's really, really good. It's probably the best looking game I've seen on the PS2 so far, and it's a real departure for the Final Fantasy series - totally new battle system, new experience system, fully 3D graphics, voice acting... It feels a little like FFVIII at first because the models are realistic rather than chibi (FFIX) or SD (FFVII), but once you get over that it's arguably one of the best games in the series - maybe not FF7 good, but certainly right up there.

The plot is interesting (and there's tons to do by way of filling in plot gaps on the world map before the final showdown), the graphics are great, the characters are likeable (Tidus is somewhere between Zidane and Cloud - he's got his issues, but he's not a moody unlikeable git like Squall, and he tends to keep a cheerful face on things which makes a change for a Final Fantasy leading man; Yuna is quiet and shy but she's also very strong and resolute, which is also a nice change), the music is superb, the CG video is breathtaking and the battle system is fun. Can't really say fairer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Fantastic game, easily as good as ff7.
    I much prefer the life-size characters of ten, SD gets on my nerves much like anime done in that style does.

The game isn't without its issues, its a bit linear, you have very little choice in what you do for the vast majority of the game but its a small niggle.
    The sub game is addictive (until you get too powerful, then its just boring.... but that takes a good while)
    The fact that you can get your s.max level to 99 in about 30 seconds means that if you want to max your characters stats and you know what you're at, you won't have to sit in a field fighting monsters for 4 days which put me off ever giving characters high stats in the previous games.
    And since you can't do the stat trick till the end of the game it means you can't ruin the experience..... altho killing ultima and omega weapon in 2-3 hits is always nice.

Great new battle system, no more loading time in battles.
    Overall, the single reason why anyone should buy a ps2, a great game that you get enough playtime for your 55 yoyo's or whatever the cost ends up being.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yes, but will it ever come out on the PC?OHH how i miss you FF series

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Final fantasy xi will be on pc but but i seriously doubt x will ever make it to a pc near you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Can't wait for this, I've started into FF6 in anticipation, clocked up 12 hours over the weekend, good game, the bad graphics don't bother me too much but lack of cut scenes is a pain, I keep getting to bits that would usually have cut scenes in subsequent games and waiting to be wowed by the lovely graphics, and instead I get a piss poor pixellated mess.

FFX is the best reason I'd have for buying a PS2, I'll have to see what the financial situation is come june and what else is out, might buy a PS2 for this or just steal a friend's for a few days and play it to death :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Yeah I've been spooging in my pants over this one too. Anyone have a release date on it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Yes, but will it ever come out on the PC?

No. The ports of FFVII and FFVIII were a lot more trouble than they were worth for Square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I clocked up over 20 hours play before square decided to release a patch for the Geforce, i dont know how i managed with those damn lines, but at the time, i didnt care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thanks a lot for that info. I'd probably buy it any way but it was a case of buying it the day it comes out or waiting until i had the money to buy it. Also I like my avatar but i would rather a tetsuo one

• Advertisement

Release date anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

I happend to think ffiii was one of the best ff7 was the best i've played so far but ff9 was fúckin' sh!ite

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FF9 was great especially if you've played FF4. People didn't like it because they were used to the fufuristic style that ff adopted in the later games. If you haven't played the earlier games especially FF4 you wouldn't notice all the references to the older games. It may have been easy but there were a load of secrets and it was nice that FF returned to it's roots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Vivi

Have to agree with Retr0gamer i thought ff9 was a great game if you've played 4!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

I only played 1,2,3,6,7,8,9 and 10 i didnt play 4 yet

Your missing out it's definitely one of the best. It's actually challenging if you can get the japanese version unlike the newer ones and the english version has some hilariously bad translation.

Advertisement