Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phundraiser!!

Options
  • 25-03-2002 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

How'd it go?
    Were Bellx1 playing new stuff?
    How were Turn!
    Nobody called me
    I had a **** night!!!!!! I can't believe it...

*GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR*

Dam ****ing knackers stole my mates money and fone.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

It was a brilliant night! All the bands played a blinder. Turn were fantastic but so were La Rocca, and Bell X1 and Mundy did a surprise show with Glen Hansard. A great night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭twoheadedcow

great great night. and for once the sound in the tmbc seemed great too.

bell x1 didn't play any new stuff they didn't play before, they played man on mir/rockridge/alphabet soup/tongue/real palm trees/pinball machine/slowset and they recorded a new jungle for phantom that goes along to the shake n vac tune.

great great night out though. although the gig was advertised with an offer of certain pints for €2.50, this was not true, all pints were €4.15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

Originally posted by twoheadedcow
    great great night. and for once the sound in the tmbc seemed great too.

wha? what were you on? can i have the adress for your dealer? the sound was more crap than ever before if you ask me, and at the tbmc that means quite something! i still have tinnitus! :mad: honestly, you must have found the one square inch where it was bearable.. how did you do that? pity, too, about the sound, if it had been better it could have been a perfect night... :(

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

well here's my gig review.

Louise Byrne (?) - I thought she was really good, dido-esque (except in the not-annoying sense), nice stage presence, one to watch I think.

Future Kings of Spain - I enjoyed them, especially that "screaming" song you hear on phatom now and then.

La Rocca - oh dear......... I'd never seen them before but I had been very impressed by their singles. They started with an absolutely putrid sub-oasis stinker (complete with tambourine) and continued to sound like a house falling down for the remainder of their set. They proceeded to MASSACRE their singles. 2 of my friends there were big la rocca fans but had never seen them live and they were nothing short of horrified. Maybe the singer was sick or something but he appeared to be able to sing in 2 ways, either very softly or extremely loud where all the notes were cracked. awful.

Hopper - started very poorly with decidely average 3-chord songs, but they broke out the top tunes towards the end and had some really good songs. cool.

Bell x-1 - they were anaihalated by the sound... but were still cool.. after 4/5 songs though it was midnight and time for me to head cos i was up early for work.. doh..

did Turn play ??

oh someone said the sound wasn't bad in tbmc, to paraphrase turn "check your ears" mate - i've been at, and played, alot of gigs in TBMC and the sound was awful last night. To be expected though with so many set-ups and change-overs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Yup my ears are still ringing...but me cares not cos it was a fantastic night!!....all the bands were fantastic with some funky music afterwards...even though i overdid it a bit and had to retire to a stool with a pint of water....oopsy...AHHHH it was a great night:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Uncle Neddy

Great gig. The sound was decidedly ropey alright but that is the music centre in a nutshell. Good to hear Bell-X-1 back. Louise Byrne was class but I'm biased there. Turn and La Rocca were the highlights for me. Awesome. Was at the bar for Mundy. I didn't know he was playing. Soma, what gig were you at ? And you didn't even stay for Turn ?? And you enjoyed Hopper ?? Oh well, see below..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Congratulations to Alison and Jenny and everyone who put their time and effort into making last night happen. The fact that the music was terrific and the atmosphere was great was a bonus. I think the fact that the place was packed to the rafters illustrated two things

a) the level of support and following for real Irish talent

b) the willingness of the public and the bands themselves to get out there and show their appreciation for phantom

Hopefully a lot of people left last night feeling very satisfied with their work, and rightly so

Well done again - you should be very proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

oh yeah, ****ing great nite, although some **** felt it necessary to inform me in my drunken state that muse would be taking to the stage at 2.30. needless to say i believed him. if your reading this...............YOU ****ING WANKER!!!!! apart from that, was fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tenwit

Another vote of approval here. Though yet again TBMC demonstrates its inability to hold a small crowd.. by 2am (I think.. about an hour after Turn left the stage) I could have organised a game of indoor football on the dancefloor and the scores of merry dancers wouldn't have noticed :)

If Phantom wants to organise these things more regularly in the vastly superior Whelan's or Shelter venues, I'm more than willing to dole out more cash to pay the bands. Ensemble gigs are usually better for me than regular gigs, 'cos I don't get to go to enough and I like to kill 6 stones with 1 stone :)

Cheers to all the organisers and bands,

Tenwit

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

neddy - believe me i would have liked to have seen turn (they're class, seen them a few times) but I was exhausted by midnight (looooooooooooooooong week) and simply had to get up for work in 7 hours time.

ack - how could i forget! Mundy was abolutely top notch, with surprising stage presence. Glen H joining him was the icing on the cake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

HEY,
    ALL u dj's from phantom just telling you want a great time i had last night at the Phundraiser. the late club afterwards was cool aswell! Me and my friends all had a laugh and were all still suffering from a hang over! Great night guys!:p ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭indie_chick

i should have been there..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭twoheadedcow

Originally posted by AtlantaSuburb

wha? what were you on? can i have the adress for your dealer? the sound was more crap than ever before if you ask me, and at the tbmc that means quite something! i still have tinnitus! :mad: honestly, you must have found the one square inch where it was bearable.. how did you do that? pity, too, about the sound, if it had been better it could have been a perfect night... :(

i was trying to be all cool and sarcastic and witty and all that. my ears were ringing loud this morning. bell x1 - tongue almost made me cry it was so screechy. it was still a good night however.

Originally posted by twoheadedcow

i was trying to be all cool and sarcastic and witty and all that. my ears were ringing loud this morning. bell x1 - tongue almost made me cry it was so screechy. it was still a good night however.

i was getting worried there... especially as you, unless i am making you a victim of mistaken identity right now, were standing only six foot away from me... as far as sarcastic and witty is concerned: try again... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭rapture_queen

indeed! It twas cool and for those too lazy to get up of their asses to go, u suck!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭insanebadgergirljess

Some of us wanted to go, but age restrictions made problems . out of curiosity was it actually over 18s or temple bar music centre over 18's (e.g. five year old on stilts in a long coat can get in)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

well it had over 18s on the ticket (coz there was access to the late club included) and there was live music til nearly 1 in the morning but there were still a few of those 5 year olds running around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jenny H

Please accept our sincere apologies-

The Temple Bar Music Centre had promised and confirmed the following drink specials for Phundraiser
    A Lager @ €2.50
    Vodka Shots €1.50

We did not realise that they were not available untill the end of the night when the Bar Manager had gone home

The TBMC have apologised to us for the lack of specials on the night (and the breakdown in communication between departments) and have asked that all complaints be forwarded to them. Please dont be mad at Phantom - we were not trying to mislead - promise. Send all complaints to the TBMC.

Who knows...maybe the good folks at the TBMC will sort you some freebies ...

Thanks again for the support on the night
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Yeh They should post me out my alchyhol I only had a tenner with me and i couldnt afford anything! So thatll be 4 pints please TBMC.... or ill take a cheque.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Alibaba01

I thought the night was great. All the bands were deadly

The sound was poxy though apart from for Turn it was much better, well, good for the Music Centre

Bell X 1 said the gig was being recorded.. is that true and if so how do we get to hear it???? Will phantom be playing it? When? I want to hear it now!!!!!

Ali Baba

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

yeah, has our jingle been played yet?

if not, when? Jenny H?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭AlisonC

It was recorded thanks very much to Phil from Phutloose who organized that for us,
    it does sound great
    and we are working on putting together the best of the best.

It is all good!
    As well some great photo's were taken on the night care of
    Ms Emily Quinn, which will hopefully be posted post haste!

alison

Originally posted by insanebadgergirljess
    Some of us wanted to go, but age restrictions made problems . out of curiosity was it actually over 18s or temple bar music centre over 18's (e.g. five year old on stilts in a long coat can get in)?

aren't they fun? didn't see too much of them on the night, in fairness, but i'm still traumatised by the 5 year olds at the last bellx1 gig i saw there in september... jayzis, you'd think it was westlife playing the way they were going on... :mad:

Advertisement