Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Currency Stamps still valid

Options
  • 25-03-2002 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

FYI,
    Stamps priced in Pounds/pence are still allowed until the 31/12/02.
    http://www.gov.ie/ecbi-euro/handbook/hbook12.htm#post

Just thought I'd post that in case anyone thought they were no longer valid after the february 9th official currency changeover.
    I found a few "Nollaig" stamps today and went off to research whether I could still use them :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lgbkrh

I have a lot of irish stamps mint unused , but these are the old denomination ie pence ,is the post office duty bound to credit me these ie give me new stamps to the value, they already told me no cash for these stamps
    keith harbour

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

No.Although we often use stamps to conduct financial transactions - they are not any type of legal currency or tender.
    I know in the UK if you have old stamps that say 1st or 2nd on them then the post office has to honour them - even if they only cost say 9p but if the stamp says 9p then it is only worth 9p you need to add the rest to post a letter. This is same for both George V1 and Elizabeth II stamps but pre decimal shilling and pence stamps are not legal to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lgbkrh

TO CLARIFY IN IRELAND IS IT NOT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO GET ANYTHING FOR PRE-1999 STAMPS MINT UNUSED FRON AN POST , SHOULD THEY NOT OFFER NEW FOR OLD OR ARE THEY LOST FOREVER OTHER TTHAT FOR PHILATILY USE

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

lgbkrh wrote: »
    TO CLARIFY IN IRELAND IS IT NOT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO GET ANYTHING FOR PRE-1999 STAMPS MINT UNUSED FRON AN POST , SHOULD THEY NOT OFFER NEW FOR OLD OR ARE THEY LOST FOREVER OTHER TTHAT FOR PHILATILY USE

No one is obligated to give you anything for them. They no longer hold a monetary value. It's like my expired Groupon voucher - even though I paid money for it, it's worth nothing.
    Saying that I bought old Irish Pennies for 50 cents each the other day - in theory they have no monetary worth - so you need to find someone that is willing to pay for them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement