Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a 5 day blackout

Options
  • 26-03-2002 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

perhaps it is a bit extreme, but I feel the 1-day strike didnt get our point across. We're sick of having a limited internet service, We demand the same service that a british customer recieves from BT.

I propose a 5-day blackout. this will undoubtable grab a lot of media attention, and hopefully put some strain under eircom, and open their eyes.

do you think we should have a 5-day blackout? 18 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    3-day blackout
    38% 7 votes
    1-day blackout
    33% 6 votes
    No
    27% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

I was actually going to sugest this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I'd go for a 3 day blackout myself... I don't want to end up with loads of spam mail when i get back online.

[signature removed by Bard]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Originally posted by Tizlox
    perhaps it is a bit extreme, but I feel the 1-day strike didnt get our point across. We're sick of having a limited internet service, We demand the same service that a british customer recieves from BT.

I propose a 5-day blackout. this will undoubtable grab a lot of media attention, and hopefully put some strain under eircom, and open their eyes.

Absolutely YES,

BUT - As and from the day after the Election. So,that if EIRCOM has NOT conceded "defeat" by then and introduced a Unmetered flat-rate affordable internet access service by then.

We can then "hopefully" put enough "Pressure" on the newly elected Government too act positively and immediately, or else - who knows "What Legal action" someone might suggest?.

A 5-DAY "BLACKOUT" could very easily become a "7 DAY" One full WEEK PROTEST?...

Yours, Madder than ever, paddy20.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

No.

I cant see anything being gained by the extra four days. The first blackout was hugely succesful in terms of publicity for the cause but in real terms didnt put a dent in eircoms pocket and i dont really think it was meant to.

It is entirely impractical for most people to stay off the internet for 5 days from a business point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Neko_Sama

God...go get 'em guys. I think you should go all out, and go for a month or two, then when they are worn to the bones, you will have all the control, and the power in the matter. Kill 'em, in the metaphorical sense, or course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

a month or 2 is a bit extreme innit?
    I mean, Eircom would lose a LOT of money, but theres no way anybody would go through with it..

I actually mentioned to Neko in IRC that a month seemed a bit too extreme... But he is right in saying that it would get Eircoms attention... But I agree with you Tizlox in that no one would be able to live without the phone for more than a month...

[signature removed by Bard]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Side note: KENNETT, shorten your signature drastically please.

As it is, I'm removing it from every post I see it in in this forum. Doing that constantly is a total pain in the arse.

Shorten it NOW, please.

--

On topic:

A 5 day blackout is not viable. It won't happen.

In short, I personally fully agree with Dustaz's comments above.

I've shortened my signature, as you requested... Sorry about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

5 day boycott is not enough :)
    Why not have a boycott by home users of the internet ?!
    i'm doing it at moment, reduce those high bills, connect from work if possible :)
    A bit drastic for some maybe :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

nah some of us have important sh!t to do and can't blackout for more then 1 day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I cant see anything being gained by the extra four days. The first blackout was hugely succesful in terms of publicity for the cause but in real terms didnt put a dent in eircoms pocket

yea, these blackouts don't hurt any of the telco's financially, i remeber esat saying they didnt notice anything different on our last blackout. Anther 1 day blackout would do fine i think, the publicity is the most important thing

anything more than a 3 day blackout is useless, i cant see everyone staying completely offline for 3 or more days, i know i could'nt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Originally posted by gurramok
    5 day boycott is not enough :)
    Why not have a boycott by home users of the internet ?!
    i'm doing it at moment, reduce those high bills, connect from work if possible :)
    A bit drastic for some maybe :)

Gurramok,

You are right - I totally "Agree" and their are far more HOME internet users being ripped off, than people in "business" who really have to put their own interes to the fore, if they are too "survive".

Therfore the home internet user has the "FREEDOM" to boycott the "EIRCOM" - "SKINTERNET" service. Maybe while we are at it why not boycott using the phone itself as well, until the price of a local call is reduced back to what it was before the 400% increase that was slapped on the defenceless telephone users "Following Privitisation"?.

How, quickly people forget the injustice - of that "EIRCOM" money grabbing stunt, reflecting the worst face of Capitalism.

How many "small" businesses were badly effected by that hike in their "phone bills" I wonder.

Yours, paddy20, & Good Morning ALL.:)

Advertisement