Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just plain sick... Our connection status..

Options
  • 26-03-2002 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Really.... It pisses you off..

Poor Paddy20 there has to order his stuff online and what not, and Eircom take advantage of him..

Tiz' makes a good argument about the fact that it costs US 700Euro+ and the english £20 for 24/7 access.

But who can you complain too..
    Who can you stand infront of and SCREAM at, because we are SO ****ING DEPRIVED.

Really, when I think about this I just want to SCREAM!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

and they still have the cheek to send their little wimin' in suits to our doors telling us about their "exciting high speed" 6.4kp/s ISDN internet access. typical.

If only we could buy out eircom and end their money-hungry schemes :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Arboration
    Tiz' makes a good argument about the fact that it costs US 700Euro+ and the english £20 for 24/7 access.
    Don't forget northern ireland !...they have same flat-rate as england!

It sorta brings it closer to home...depressing :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

You should all stop your whingeing and move to the UK then! Nobody is stopping you! Especially if you have any ideas for starting a technology or internet company.

Everything here seems to be geared towards the Microsofts, Intels and Dells etc. Our politicians etc have a "top down" mentality. I think its a sort of post-colonial thing, relying on the big boys bring in the jobs & investment etc. which is grand as long as it works but what if in the future Poland or the Czech Republic are found to be more congenial business environments?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lads to be honest I think you are mis-directing your anger. Eircom are a business (they are an extremely short sighted one) and they will try and make money inside the guidelines provided by the Government. We should really be directing our energies at the politicians who are suppost to be guiding our country.

I think pork99 has hit the nail on the head, they think by taking care of large corporations from abroad they are doing their jobs but they have failed to realise that the companies that will provide long term quality employment prospects will be small home ground operations and not those that withdraw to a more cost effective location and cite Global market excuses when the going gets tough. The politicans of this country need to be reminded that even a large mega corporation like HP started in a Garage and that they because of their incompetence and short sightedness they are holding back a potential "Irish HP".

Sorting out Flat rate access and broadband access will allow small irish businesses to compete on a level field. BY not sorting this out they are costing Ireland new jobs and in the long term may lose existing ones. Lets re-educate the politicans lads and stop whinging.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Tizlox
    and they still have the cheek to send their little wimin' in suits to our doors telling us about their "exciting high speed" 6.4kp/s ISDN internet access.

ISDN = "It Still Does Nothing"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

The current rates are around £15 stg for 24/7 access via 56k modem. Would it be worth the colossal expense of a newspaper advert detailing this (God if I had dosh I would put it on a billboard). I sent this info to someone I know who works in the media and their response was I didnt realise it was such a huge discrepancy etc. If people on a wide scale could see this it may cristalise their minds. Maybe a second set of figures detailing how much a small number of daily hours (half peak, half off peak) is still way more than £15 (roughly E24) may help as you will get people saying only freaks would be using 24/7. (BTW not my view about freaks, I consider shiftworkers insomniacs and other household members as worthy as the next person)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The cost of half a page in the Irish Times is approx €12000.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Yes, I know and if you want something seen by the public the Irish times with its abysmal readership is not the place to go. What is needed rather than an ad is a planted article but as AJF OReilly owns the media of the nation to the extent he does we are doomed. Btw was in touch with a few TDs and would be TDs and they are so not living in the real world. Just because they are made of money they don't seem to be even aware that there is another billing model that isn't per minute but are enthusiastic about it for themselves. Does anyone know if Eircom have to reneogitate their licence anywhere in the fututre? If the terms could be altered by the regulator then all would be solved.

Advertisement