Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone bought a PC from ALDI?

• 26-03-2002 5:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Right,

It has come that time of year again where ALDI are doing their offers on PCs. This time I actually have money to purchase one, but want to know if their any good. The name on the case says Medion, but the components on the inside bear much more pupular brand names.

I can't remember the exact specs but it's something like

Intel P4 1.6Ghz
    256MB PC133
    80GB HD
    GeForce 3
    16x DVD
    16x10x40 CDRW
    Running XP Home Ed and the usual junk

€1139 or something like that (incl. VAT) it works out @ around £850 (I think it said).

No monitor, but that could be arranged easily enough. What do yez think. I would like to get a new 2Ghz Dell, but they are waaay too expensive. Even a slower machine from Dell costs over that price.

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

well in germany its a tradition that they wait all night to get there hands on one.
    It's cheap, but you will get more then you paid for and besides pc's are made to upgrade. A pc is never finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Yup bought one last year and not a bother with it. Decent quality componants in the machine so personally I couldn't give a toss what the badge says...

All in all I've had less problems with this system than any before so would likely buy there again. If you're not too bothered about 'hand-holding tele-support aka "where's the any key?"' then go for it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

one of my friends bought one . dono if i would trust it tho .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Wook
    A pc is never finished.

Very true, Sah. Is there much room for expansion in these? i.e. are they desktops or mini/towers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

AFAIK you can stick a gig of RAM in them. Don't know any other mobo details though.

Oh and it's a tower.

Ah!!, I found the link: http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/IE/specials_01_11/specials_set.html

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

It's a bargain. If I was in the market for a machine at the moment I'd buy this one without hesitation. Likewise the peripherals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That GeForce 3 and the 80gig hard drive certainly caught my eye :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Stephen LOL@your sig :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

It is a very good spec, apart from the pc133 sdram memory, which will slow down performance by about 20-25% when compared with rdram or ddr. But if you don't want the ultimate high end pc, this does offer great value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I would certainly have to agree with Gerry, it is a very good spec and the price is a steal :)

if you have the cash, go for it.

Regards,

Paul

• Advertisement
Advertisement