Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M Noonan on RTE Radio this morning

Options
  • 26-03-2002 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Noonan was on rte radio this morning , made me so angry. Things are so bad in this country that even the opposition are lazy.

He says it is too late for 5 year broadband plans which is true but why havent they voiced their opinions sooner?

I wont paraphrase the whole interview but it seems like the situation is truly hopeless at the moment *especially* for those outside dublin.

I am placing my last hopes on IrishWAN to get me a decent connection.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

noonan was just spouting a load of shyte about how it's really expensive to get in big corporate leased lines outside the greater dublin area. That's all, he didn't even scratch off our situation.

If he had even just mentioned the fact an SME/Residential user can only get on 56k/isdn he would have had my support but no.... As for Irish WAN ... i'm not holding out any hope on them I mean where are they going to get the bandwidth for their service from, it doesn't grow on trees they sound more like a wireless technology hobby group.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

Originally posted by m1ke
    As for Irish WAN ... i'm not holding out any hope on them I mean where are they going to get the bandwidth for their service from, it doesn't grow on trees they sound more like a wireless technology hobby group.

I think that describes us quite well :-)

regards,
    Dave

daveharlowe@hotmail.com

http://www.irishwan.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Hardly surprising from FG as Michael Lowry made a mess of that mobile phone contract when he was Minister.

Then again before we all go getting party political about this, it was the PD's and their rabid espousal of privitisation that got us into this mess with eircom and it's stranglehold on the internet access in this country.
    Plus FF let them do it too, in fact Bertie and Mary Harney were all smiles and waves at the grand privitisation smeared across the television at the time.

Thanks for that guys, I just love 56k access.
    Typedef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

[aside]

I could be having a mental brain fart, but is it not the case that the 'loop' is being unbundled because Eircom has decided to lower it's wholesale dsl price to 50 quid euro money?

Ergo, is it not simply a matter of time before Esat and Eircom and other ancillary smaller companies start selling dsl access?
    Or has the grapevine dissed this supposed second coming of Eircom's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

m1ke, Irishwan will never directly provide any sort of internet access. :) Members on the network can either source a nice connection like a leased line, and share the bandwidth and costs with others in their area, or a community may decide to buy capacity off a nearby company that has bandwidth to spare. For example, here in Co.Wexford, I'm going to get a leased line (or buy capacity off a company with one) if there are enough people interested, or share 2 way satellite with a small number of members either.

As Dave says, that description is basically correct, and we will be like the many other groups around the world. :)

Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

there is an irishwan dublin meet this sat btw, see www.irishwan.org for info!

Advertisement