Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bouncers-are they scum or what?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

FFS, this thread is kinda gone off the rails a bit. Phobes, I'd say that your incident ran deeper then what just happened that night. I'm sure the bouncers were mates off the guy that threw the bottle. Which doesnt make it any better. Also about bouncers been impolite, when you have 20, 30, 40, and upwards of people coming up to you after hours, or just before you close, you tend to get a little pissed off telling drunking ****s to go away. Since most off them dont leave without giving the normal rant about being the pubs best customer, when you only spend 20 quid a week in there. You dont relise how stupid and annoying drunken people are when you are stone cold sober. The usual, I want to get a mate, I have to get my coat/ bag/ bitch, I need to go to the toilet, doesnt cut it. I dont know why people even try to get in to bars after hours..... THE ****ING BAR IS CLOSED..... you wont get a drink. Or the people that sit at the bar with one mouth full left in there pint glass, which they have had there for 45 minutes. The phrase " Fúck out and go some where else you tight bástard" comes to mind. Any way...... it can be a very annoying job, especially if you start off in a bad mood, of something happens during the night to put you in a bad mood.

John

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by azezil

oh i see because i like to dance, and listen to fast music i'm automatically a "skanger", how nice.
    *sigh* Will you please read my posts properly. Scroll up...

Anyway... will yez stay on the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I have'nt got a problem with bouncers asking questions like "are you having good night", "how are you doing", "have you any ID." I find "Where are you coimg from?" tends to be asked in a well not so freindly maner... which i often end up taking abit to literaly ... answering things like , home, Dinner in Temple Bar . My house , insert name of other pub/club here.
    the thing that realy pisses me of are bouncers that either dont say anything or dont react to the fact that you are walking up to the door. or dont look at you and ask for ID. while leaning against the door frame looking at their own shoes...

ok bouncer types and people who have no problems with bouncers , what do you do/say when you walk up to a door with two bouncers that dont react to the fact that you have arived ? they're standing in the door way so you cant just walk in and the the fact they are in effect ignoring you makes it very intimidating to say "evening." it totaly throws me ... they just stand there, it would be ok if they where looking at me . then I could say hello with out a problem but it's like i dont exist... arghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I know for a fact that I say hello to everyperson that walks into where I work.

John

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by kiffer
    ok bouncer types and people who have no problems with bouncers , what do you do/say when you walk up to a door with two bouncers that dont react to the fact that you have arived ? they're standing in the door way so you cant just walk in and the the fact they are in effect ignoring you makes it very intimidating to say "evening." it totaly throws me ... they just stand there, it would be ok if they where looking at me . then I could say hello with out a problem but it's like i dont exist... arghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thats the type of situation where you should keep staring ahead and not say anything. Otherwise you are likely to be stopped because they can sense that you are intimidated and you start to get nervous. That happened me once, when I didn't have an id and I ended up having to say my date of birth. Its a bit of a ****.

But I agree with you... most bouncers are very friendly and say hello, etc etc. Thats the way they should all be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

I have to agree with lump on this one. I used to work on the door of a nightclub, and i have to say the amount of abuse that you get for doing a job is not funny. You have to deal with everybody and his/her mother on the door of a club. You get it from all angles, you get it from the nutter who thinks he is getting in even though you have eight big ****ers (sorry about the language) on the door but he was getting through, you get it from the ones who threw a bottle the week before and where that drunk didnt remember, you get it from the ass hole that spat at you for asking him not to bring drink on the dance floor, you get it from the kids you know are not 18 and have no ID to proove it and what's more you have it from the parents of little johnny and mary who didnt get into the club.

Sorry about this rant but i have to say i am sick at the abuse that security get, they are only doing a job, they are trying to do a job (before i get slatted here i will agree that some do not do it properely and are power tripping ba$tards)and it is not the easiest job in the world but at the end of the day it is a job. Think of the guy who has to do it because he has a family to feed and there is no other work, some door staff make good money and some dont but at the end of the day with all the sh!t that they put up with they dont make enough.

Next time you are going to give them greif, think about what has happened and think if i was in their shoes what would i do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Really, I do.

First off, I was not talking about clubs where there is frenetic dancing activity and there is (perhaps) a case to be made for keeping out people who look to be a little 'exuberant', shall we say, so that life and limb may be protected.

I was talking about pubs. EG Searsons in Upper Baggot St, which is the ONLY pub in the neighbourhood with a bouncer on the door at weekends. Why? Because the current owners spent a fortune acquiring and renovating it a few years ago and now want to make it appear to a certain class of clientele that no riff raff will be tolerated.

This has got nothing to do with security. It'spure petty snobbery. It also puts bouncers in a position of arbitrary power, and like with any such position, such power tends to go to their heads. Let's face it, there probably are some intelligent bouncers but brains are not exactly a prerequisite for the job.

What really makes me despair is the acceptance among some posters here that having bouncers block the door is a necessity. It's the same sort of paranoia that has many American defend their insane gun laws. 'We gotta have them. It's dangerous out there.' In fact Belfast at the height of the troubles had a lower murder rate than most American cities.

The reason so many people get shot in America is that so many of them have guns. Ditto with bouncers, the more threatening behaviour there is, the more trouble you will have. Boys will be boys. Or spelt another way, yobs will be yobs, earpieces in their ears or not.

If you don't have enough self respect (this has got nothing to do with being macho, Shinji) to go out for a drink without feeling that obnoxious behaviour on the door is necessary to safgeuard your personal well being, then you really should see a psychiatrist.

It is insulting to somebody to deny access to what should be a 'public house' simply on the arbitrary say so of some well muscled type. If you really feel bouncers are necessary, then it should be a requirement not an optional extra for them to be outwardly civil to their customers, to stand aside and open the doors as a matter of course, not just when they're feeling confident and only to restrict access on the most clear and undeniable of grounds.

Way to go the man who succesfully sued that dive in the centre of Dublin for refusing him entrance on the grounds that he was 'too old' Hopefully, it won't be too long before I will be able to do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

oh u ferkin pussys, stand up for your selfs or you will b walked all over. ffs, get some balls, dont take **** from anyone, even if he is 'bigger' then you. sounds liek some of you need a good slap anyway to wake up.

saw some fellas getting mugged on the tube other day (again) infront of alot of people (again), i cant understand how they let ppl do that to them, they just excepted it, strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭four_star

that's the kind of talk that get you taken down an ally by a bouncer and rightly f**ked.

• Advertisement

i met some dickhead bouncers in dublin though tbh, my south london accent didnt help much, dunno how they continue though, them sort of bouncers r killed here in no time.

now 'doormen/women' i meeet stick there tongue right up my ass, where it should be, im the customer, here to spend my money.

enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lara

I agree with those who think that bouncers are just there to give off the right image. Picture this: waiting outside a pub on the quays (for a friends birthday - I wouldn't go there normally, purely because of the Qing). The Q is about 30-40 people long and the bouncers are letting people in in twos and threes, as others are coming out, as if the place is full. So after 40 mins, we finally get inside to discover that not only is there no cover charge on the door (which would be another reason for letting people in in small numbers), but the place is half empty. So all the Qing was just to make the place look popular. Not the first time I've been somewhere and that happened.

Also, I knew a bouncer in a Dublin late bar that used to brag about dragging people down an alley away from the Garda camera to kick the heads off trouble makers (or so he called them). Completely unnecessary. And also assault.

whats new? i know som1 caught with pills going into a pub, bouncers took them and his money of him, gave the money back to him, he had the buy his pills back from them. bouncers taking ppl out the back is old news. Q for a pub sucks tbh, i wouldnt bother, not unless i knew there ws somthing i realy wanted inside. had to Q for 50mins to get into club-pop (and they only excpet plastik, no cash at all), where there is always loads of celebs, that Brian from Westlife hates me, i made him loook liek a fool, hahaha. loads of pubs are couples only once it hits 9:00 also , girls get in free etc, have to Q to get into Fabric for about 3-4 hrs each ****ing weekend, did manage to blag it in for fre once there tho, which for voted the best club in london, is hard to do:>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by [sk.Ser]
    girls get in free etc,

Does this still happen anywhere in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Girls can get in to some clubs for free which is fine by me cos the nights a whole lot cheaper. Only problem with that is that the ratio of girls to lads is always really high.

Bouncers don't go any easier on girls. Try to get into Merlins in Waterford on a Friday night for example. I'm 21, always dress well going out- skirt, heels etc, and always carry my ID. I don't drink a lot so I never go near bouncers looking anywhere near drunk. For ages I never had a problem getting in by showing my garda ID but for some reason the last time I tried to get in the bouncer demanded a driver's licence or birth cert. I didn't have either and the bouncer insisted that garda ID had never been accepted in Merlins. What a load of crap considering I'd been using it to get in every night I'd ever been there.

Another time I was with a friend and though he had ID, had only 2 pints in him and was dressed very well they refused him, saying he was too drunk. After failing to reason with them, they told us to go away, get a cup of coffee (???) and come back in half an hour. No problems the 2nd time. That was totally pointless and ridiculous considering we were both sober.

I've come to the conclusion that those bouncers just pick people at random, say every 10th person and give them hassle. I know they are trying to do their job, but they should be on the look out for people who may cause troble and leave people who just want to mind their own business and enjoy a night out alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Im_a_toaster

I LOVE BOUNCERS, THEY ARE THE BEST:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement