Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bono Defends REM Star

• 26-03-2002 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

REUTERS LONDON - U2 singer Bono has told a court that fellow rock star Peter Buck was "famously peaceful" and he had never seen him drunk.The Irish rock god made a surprise court appearance in London as a character witness for the REM guitarist, who faces charges of being drunk on a transatlantic flight and attacking cabin crew.

Man, the jury on this trial are lucky sons of bitches :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 phil_h

rock god. where the quote come from - the sun. they should lock that fu€k up and throw the key away. where the fu€k does he come off, thinking that people even listen to his ****€ anymore. lets face it hes a washed up lead singer in a band that just gets crapper with every record.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Originally posted by phil_h
    rock god. where the quote come from - the sun. they should lock that fu€k up and throw the key away. where the fu€k does he come off, thinking that people even listen to his ****€ anymore. lets face it hes a washed up lead singer in a band that just gets crapper with every record.

I dont have an opinion on Bono appearing at a trial as a character witness, ....but

Isnt it a sad situation when the Irish trait for knocking one of our own when their successful is so clearly portrayed.

I don know the man personally (Bono) but he's the lead singer for an Irish band that broke barriers, and paved the way for the curent success of the Irish music scene. They sold a moxy load of records, won every award in the business, and played some deadly concerts ( ie Croke park).
    He has his few bob, (and his share of the hotel), is still with his wife, he seems a decent enough fella (trying to get 3rd world debt reduced etc,) but still some pimple nosed kid (a guess) has to knock him.

I mean WTF is it about seeing a successful irish person that drives you mad? Cant you just say fair play to him?

Apologies to Monty for being off thread topic. ;)

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Originally posted by phil_h
    rock god. where the quote come from - the sun.

Read the post - it comes from Reuters :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Originally posted by Xterminator
    I mean WTF is it about seeing a successful irish person that drives you mad? Cant you just say fair play to him?
    X

I think that the problem is he's not as talented as he's heralded to be. I wouldn't expect you to be defending Westlife or the Corrs, because they suck. I don't like U2 either, but I don't mind Irish people being succesful. Thin Lizzy kick ass.
    Apologies again for off topicness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I think that the problem is he's not as talented as he's heralded to be

Matter of opinion really. It's odd how polarised folk get over U2 - I really like pretty much everything they've done... Well okay, there was Zooropa and about half of POP, but we'll forgive them that. A lot of my mates can't stand them at all, a lot of them think they are, well, rock gods.

*shrug* I reckon he's talented and he comes across as a genuinely good bloke, even if he needs his feet planted on the ground every now and then. phil_h's post is, indeed, just a sad example of folk whinging about people who actually make it good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

I get sick of Bono trying to be the Voice of God!
    All this political crap surrounding this megalomaniac dude is just so Fake. Why does he has to be so pretentious?

Henry Rollins once said that he would like to challenge Bono into a boxring for ten rounds, boy i would give heaps of money to see this bout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Stay on topic or the topic dies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

It looks like Buck is in trouble with this one even if he normally doesn't do this sort of thing.

[Slightly off topic rant]

I've been involved in a similar bull**** conversation in the Phantom FM forum. Some of you seem to want Bono to be an asshole who couldn't give a **** about anyone. Well the reality is he's probably done more for the poor of the world with this drop the debt thingie that anyone is the history of the entertainment industry. If some of you are embarrassed about your Irishness I'm not so lets not drag us all down to your level. I personally don't know the guy but U2 have supplied us with some fantastic music over the years, music which has changed and developed. I wonder what the last thing some of you did for the poor... em nothing ever perhaps.

BTW: Wook, I may be a U2 fan but I also like Henry Rollins so I don’t see how the two are mutually exclusive, basically they are two very different but very interesting characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I have nothing against Mr.Bono but why he is defending that lout I don't know. What he did is indefencable and the account of his behaviour is backed up by many witnesses not only limited to cabin crew.

I personally hope he recieves a fitting punishment, but he's a famous person so its likely he'll get a voucher for the Betty Ford.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MASTER BLASTER

I agree with Wook Bono should have joined the priesthood long ago and saved us years of b s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I have nothing against Mr.Bono but why he is defending that lout I don't know

Because he's a mate?

If a friend of mine got hammered and did something bad, but was otherwise a good bloke, I wouldn't have any qualms about standing up in court as a character witness. Sure, maybe the guy did something wrong, but you stick up for your friends when they're in trouble, even if it's trouble of their own making. Bono didn't claim that the incident didn't happen, he claimed that the guy was usually a decent fella and that this was out of character.

I don't see the problem with that. Do the mechanics of a friendship change when you get famous?

Advertisement