Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Java Installations

Options
  • 26-03-2002 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Is anyone here developing with more than one version of the JDK?
    At the moment all my "real" work is to be done using JDK 1.3 cause it's stable and all that, but I want to mess about with the newer featues in 1.4

Also I'm informed that some applications (DBVisualiser) won't work with 1.4.

What's the best setup for this situation? Is it possible to use them both at the same time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Enygma,

I use multiple installations of the JDK for development. I have Sun Jdk1.1.7, IBM 1.1.8, Sun 1.2.2,1.3.1 and 1.4 all installed. There should be no real problem having most of these installed.

With 1.2.2 and onwards, the installer usually installs a java.exe inside your windows\system directory that points at the installed JDK. So if you want to install JDK1.4, make sure you keep a copy of the java.exe file inside your system directory and copy it on top of the one from 1.4. Your exisiting apps should continue to work and all you have to do to use 1.4 is to modify any apps to the new jdk1.4\bin directory. If you are compiling in a DOS win just make sure you compile and run your apps using the full path i.e. c:\jdk1.4\bin\java MyApp

Another problem that can arise is the presence of JAVA_HOME in your environment properties and jdk1.3 in your PATH. You may want to check them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

pika?

I have 1.3 and 1.4 installed to..

d:\java\1.3
    d:\java\1.4

I then just launch a batch file when I open the command window that sets my path and classpath to the related jdk.

For IDE's most support multiple jdk's. I know in Forte you can set the jdk on a class by class basis in the properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I am with Hobbes on this one, that's exactly what I would do. But as for runtime envs. can't you force particular programs to use different VM versions.

As for JDK selection in Forte, you can do the same thing in JBuilder (under [default] project properties)

HTH :cool:

;-phobos-)

Advertisement