Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euros and cents reopened

Options
  • 26-03-2002 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Bard,

This is a sociolinguistic issue which affects all of us in Ireland, every day. I have posted it to a number of lists because it is important, and because, even though I spent over €300 in postage and weeks and weeks of researchand writing, I know that I am still the only person -- with the possible exception of Eamon Dunphy -- who is really trying to get something done about it. Boards.ie is an Irish community, is it not? There were many fora on the boards which I did not post it to -- I was selective. IrelandOffline was probably the most off-topic, but I posted it there because I'm best known by some of the folks there.

In point of fact, it is specifically relevant to the Gaeilge list because the European Council regulation which engendered the s-less plurals has also given rise to the use of the invariant forms "euro" and "cent" in the Irish language, which is likewise offensive. I have written extensively on this.

And my open letter to the minister specifically mentions the Irish words "eoró" and "ceint" as well.

I think, respectfully, that you should not have closed this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Point taken. I'll close THIS grumbly thread and re-open th'other one.

By the way- if I lock a thread and you have a problem with that, please do NOT start a new thread to replace it. 9 times out of 10, I'll just delete the replacement thread.

This time you had a point, admittedly, but you should have sent your objection to me in a Private Message.

:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement