Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS messages and VB HELP!!!!

Options
  • 26-03-2002 5:48pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here ever developed an SMS application, you know to send message to a mobile phone?

Im hoping to do it in VB, using TAPI? Microsofts Telefony API?

anyone know anything that could help me? Im researching now, but every web site is either selling me an SMS activeX dll or telling me to use one, problem is im trying to develop an SMS activeX dll, and cant find any info on how or even where to begin?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

this is a cry for help.!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I actually contemplated on doing this a while back in Java, but it's not the implemented language that is going to be your problem. The problem is that you are here in Ireland where they would charge you big bucks to use their SMS gateways. You can buy/write all the ActiveX components under the sun to send a SMS, but you still have to use somebody's gateway.

So then people thougth to themselves, why don't I use one of the web based SMS programs to traffic my SMS. Sorry mate the likes of Esat Fusion already thought of that, and they are practically packet filtering the requests to make sure they are coming from a valid source. I would know this! :(

So then I moved out of the country to, I think it was a Norwegian phone company that I started to use, and simply specified the international destination number. Success I found a gateway that my software could use, but it was only a matter of time, before I was contacted by a representative and told to fuk off, or legal action would be taken.

So anyway, what I recommend you do is, try and find a way for you to actually implement what you intend to create. Because in the world of telephony your not on your own, you are going to need someone else to complete that project, and they don't work for free, that's for certain.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Morphéus
    Has anyone here ever developed an SMS application, you know to send message to a mobile phone?

Im hoping to do it in VB, using TAPI? Microsofts Telefony API?
    As has been pointed out, you would have to connect to an SMSC, probably using SMPP rather than TAPI. And it costs money.

Simplest way of building your own 'SMSC' using VB is to hook up a Nokia with a valid SIM using a serial cable and download & import Nokia's connectivity libraries into your vbp.

I wouldn't go down the deep linking route as it opens you up to legal problems and it's dreadfully unreliable.

Advertisement