Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FlightSim-U-Like

Options
  • 26-03-2002 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

I've been in a really flightsimmy mood recently. I've got a list of about 12 sims i'm planning on buying from www.softwarefirst.com to get me all up to date with the latest :]

I was just wondering what people's favourite flight sims were, recent ones and oldies...

Mine are the following:

Jet: Falcon 4.0
    Chopper: Jane's Longbow 2
    WWII: European Air War

My favourite flight sim developers are Jane's, MicroProse, DiD, and Digital Integration.

What do y'all think? Feel free to add more catagories ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

one and only Tie-Fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Woohoo somebody else who likes FlightSims.

Favourites:

JET: Falcon 4, Janes F/A-18, F22 TAW, SEF2000, Flanker2.5, Tornado(anybody remember that)

Helo: Enemy Engaged Comanche/Hokum & Apache Havoc.
    Longbow 2

Prop: IL2 Sturmovik

Space: Freespace 1/2, Independance War 1/2, X-wing v Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Controversal I know, but I do have a soft spot for M$'s Combat Simulator. There's something deeply satisfying about screaming out of the clouds and blowing the wings off bombers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

an intresting topic.

I dont have any flight sims but i am thinking of getting one and wonder whats a good one to start with. dont want to spend hours reading a manual and i want to blow stuff up. So peoples best flight sims would be intresating.

It would be also to hear what peoples fav driving games are as im collecting driving games right now. The best so far i have to say are E-racer and sega GT. But i havent played any of the rally games yet. SO what is youre favriot flight sim and driving game i supose im asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

All those manuals & buttons Spooky are part of the reason why I like Fligh Sims:)

Seriously though most Flight sims have configurable options so you can always start with the casual options and work your way up to the Expert settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i finally got falcon 4 runing last night(ive had it 4 months). that damn dev create surface bug was killing it. anyway it fecking rocks. now all ive to do is learn all 100 odd commands. b17 2 is also good. and good old dogfight on the amiga. how does taking an f18 against a swordfish(ww1 bi-plane) sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Falcon4 + SP2
    Iwar2:EOC
    Apache Havoc
    OperationFlashpoint 1.46
    Frontier :p
    Il-2

Originally posted by BattlingCheese
    All those manuals & buttons Spooky are part of the reason why I like Fligh Sims:)

Fair point but there may be some with less contorl options than others. I rember a great WW2 sim on the amiga years ago called wings, just fly by the seat of youre pants kinda stuff. And that f16 interseptor on the amiga dident really have all that much to leard either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Cheese: I recently found tornado on an abandonware site, www.the-underdogs.com - i haven't really got it to work properly yet though :( The two enemy engaged choppergames are on my wishlist too... i thirst for rotary goodness!

amp: bleaghhh. Try Aces High! it rocks. www.hitechcreations.com

donkey: if you're looking for a bit of a quick action flight sim, try any of the Novalogic titles (mostly F22 games, also the Comanche line). They're less complex and more "fun" than the hardcore sims like Falcon or one of the Jane's games. But I'd like to suggest you try a more realistic flight sim... in the long run, they really are more rewarding. Especially Falcon 4.0 and Jane's Longbow 2 that really make you feel like you're part of a greater war effort... you see your friendly tanks and troops on the ground, and you give em close air support, like the airstrikes they call in in "We were soldiers", if you've seen that ;)

SyxPak: OpFlaaaaash :D~~~ the only problem is that flying planes is the worst part of the game... the choppers ain't bad though ;)

FEED ME FLIGHT SIMS! I NEED THEM ALL!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I don't usually play flight sims but i liked Colony Wars, I used play it without a memory card, hours on end stareing at the tv, eyes blood shot, legs completely dead from lack of movement.... ah bliss :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Tie-Fighter definitly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I used to play a flight sim called F15 Strike Eagle 2 by microprose on my old old old old IBM XT. I lvoed the damn game was so addictive. My attempts to get a working copy of it again remain unfufilled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I used to like flight sims, such as EF2000, but that was back when the first pentiums were being introduced in '94/95.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one today, but I'm more into just flying around as opposed to combat. I would like to get something that was realistic, such as flying a passenger plane etc. Where you have to do all the checks, taxi on to the runway, take off, and monitor progress, weather conditions, report to control towers etc.

Does such a product exist?

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Ronan|Raven, check your PM.

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    I used to play a flight sim called F15 Strike Eagle 2 by microprose on my old old old old IBM XT. I lvoed the damn game was so addictive. My attempts to get a working copy of it again remain unfufilled!

I think i used to have that back in my old 386 days. I think it fit on 1 floppy disk. I dont know what i did with it though, i could still have it i`ll check.

Advertisement