Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mod help needed!!!

• 26-03-2002 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

what are you supposed to do with a constant muppet on a board??? i've tried editing the posts, sending pm's and so on but it dosent work (I dont want to ban him as it is a college forum and I want it to be accesable by all!) the forum in particular is the Tipp Inst Forum and the muppet is "rabies".

Thanks lads (amp, i want no smart comments!):p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

if he deserves to be banned in your opinion, ban him, thats what its there for, you may not want to, few times will you actually want, but if it has to be done then do it. sometimes principals have to be sacrificed for what's practical.

just ask yourself what you think is right, no one can tell you what to do, in the end its you that decides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Boston
    ban him, thats what its there for, you may not want to, few times will you actually want, but it has to be done

your job, as a moderator is to do what's in the best interest of the forum. sometimes principals have to be sacrificed for what's practical

boston, will you shut up for once.

have you read what he has written?
    have you seen the other side of the story?
    no.
    then be quiet.

fatb, if you have problems then post up the relevant links. from what i can see hes made 8 posts and none of them have been very offensive or unruley to be honest.
    you have edited a load of question marks in one post and thats about it.
    what abuse has he/she given?
    have others complained about their behaviour?

all you have to do is edit their posts i you really want, and they will soon get bored. look after your own board and the the world will be a happier and carefree place....

and boston, will you ever think before you spout. christ, you seem to have turned into the voice of god here recently. give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

thanks wwm, i have also deleted 1 thread and 2 posts as they were, for instance, in the charter thread he replyed with "how about who would win between the teenage mutant hero turtles and ......." tbh he dosent have any interest in keeping the board ran in the way that boards.ie is run, I will leave this thread here and reply with the next example of his muppetry WHEN :( it happens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

There is always three sides to a story, his/theirs and the truth. Can't just go round banning someone, though its tempting 'n all.

i read his post, and i noticed him saying that he didnt want to ban him because he wanted the forum free. i was just commenting that sometimes you cant have that, that your atemps to keep a forum free and easy can sometimes back fire and make the forum less free for genuine users to post on it.
    thats all im saying, i dont have enough info on this user to comment on weather or not he deserves to be banned and ive edited my post to reflect that

Btw what do you mean voice of god, i am god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Send him (i found out it is a him, and amounst the thurles crowd too!) a pm, explain that this type of 'carry-on' is not acceptable and if he continues ban his ass :)

just ensure when sending the pm you don't come accross abusive or offensive, as that'll most likely spawn a new wave of muppetry.

failing that i can find out some personal details n pass them on for the amusment of all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Good god whatever you do don't ban him.

Hurl abuse from a great height wether he behaves or not 'for amusement' if you like, but less of the ironfistedness said iron fists are for ornamental purposes only, you may use them to brush aside threads of muppetry to the recycle bin, but crushing even the most infintile muppet people seems harsh.

You might affect the muppet person in a way other than the desired effect and you might even come off seeming a little tyrranical.

Typedef.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

In cases of Advanced Muppetitis[TM] on Foot.ie, I ban for a week. If the affliction reoccurs, I ban for a month. In persistant cases I ban the IP, or report the user to their ISP. Normally I just give them a roasting though.

IrelandOffline is next to impossible though, because we have numerous cases of Chronic Multiple Personality Disorder (seriously), lightly sprinkled with 'Creepy Sense Of Humour Trollitis'.

In all seriousness, I genuinely fail to understand the mentality of some of the recurring trolls on the IO forum. I mean, a few days could be considered funny, but some of these people seem to have absolutely no lives. I often wonder if some of these wonderful people work for our alleged "enemies", and are doing it in the somewhat sad belief that they're somehow defending themselves.

But I'm wandering. Someone tell me to shut up.

adam

rest asured in the knowleadge that to write their 4 pages of rants they probably had to sell their house to eircom in order to cover the call charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by FatB

Thanks lads (amp, i want no smart comments!):p

I see the best three mods on boards.ie have already replied, so absolutely no need for smart comments from yours truly.

I percieve that the triumvirate of pre-eminent moderators have previously responded, and hence intelligent observations are not required on my behalf.

TEH TREE BESTOR MODZ HAVE SED TEH TING AN I R NOT SMART REPLZOR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Well I'm good, but this has to be the first time you have said I count for three in one.

Consider me tickled pink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Huh? when did I say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

ah so u ment me then, ah shucks tanx!

Advertisement