Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting random people

Options
  • 27-03-2002 12:24am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

I mean this in the slang term. Also known as getting off with someone, shifting someone etc.

Just wondering WHY???
    Why do people get off with a random person and feel proud?
    Personally i think it's messed up and kinda sick.

Opinions people...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

i think it is really sad for people to specifically go out to kiss random strangers - but at the same time it's a laugh if it happens and people who wander around with a pole up their about it ass piss me off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

i think that it's a case of:

"Whatever floats your boat"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

<Debates wether or not to reply>

<Decides to reply with scarcasm phasers set to [quantum filament]>

Why is 'randomly shifting people cool master'.
    You see grasshopper the woman is like a ming-cat lentil.
    Ahah.
    I am glad we had this chance to talk grasshopper, now wax my car.

I hope this clears that up for you.
    Typedef

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Yeah i agree with Sven...
    (again)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

it depends on the individual person and the time and the place really.

when i split up with my boyfriend of four years all i wanted to do was go out and shift people preferably people i didn't know, it helped that i was way from college and home at the time so i really didn't know anyone.

can't seem to do that anymore cos i've decided that by fourth year in college everyone is connected in some way, i don't think there's one person i've been talking to or meeting this year that didn't know someone in my course, house etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Hmmm.... meeting random people can be fun *sometimes*, if you know them and like them, but i wouldnt recommend it as a long term idea!

Meeting people you dont know? Well for me anyway thats a bit out of the question.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Carolan

but it's FUN

so much more fun than that whole relationship idea, which is just tedious. you get these people who are ALWAYS THERE, following you around. i hate that. random people are nicer, though best of all is meeting non-random people, people who you really do like, but not going out with them. that's fun.

love
    carolan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Meeting random people does not do it for me....

I'm one of those people who is usually looking for a relationship. but i can see that some people like it, but its just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Shoeless Ailbhe

I too am not the 'random person' type, but from my experience, i find people who are 'random people' types
    are so because they want to get their hormones overwith before they try 'relationships'. This is especially the case
    when they fancy the ass off someone on a one night stand type of thing, but like another person on a long term basis. They get their one night stand, hormonal 'relationship' over and done with, and move on to the boring things that never last as much as they want and always turn out a dissapointment. With the exception of a few cases. Bye.

I tend to fall for people quite badly, so i have little thoughts for one night stands. ho well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

this is weird: i was more of the "fall for somebody really hard and dont think of anyone else" type up until this summer, but now, i dont really know. i havent found anyone that particularly catches my eye at my new school. also, im really confused now because before this year i thought that i really like dguys more for their mind than their looks, but... i dont know anymore. i know that in the long run i still find that a smart funny nice guy would really be perfect for me (it doesnt hurt if hes smashingly hot), but i kind of want to go out and do stupid things with people i dont know ( as long as i have reason to believe that i will never see them again).

hmmmmmm... definitely a toughie.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

i gotta say i is the same Ms. Foobar :p

I've only had 2 relationships in my life and i was pushed into the meeting a random person twice. once wasn't really meeting tho. more of a peck. anyways. it's not my thing.
    but what really got me to put up this post is guys. well some guys i know. now it's not as bad when you meet a random person if you don't go braggin about it. but if you go braggin about it and/or braggin about getting off with TWO at the same disco or worse still TWO whose are BEST friends, etc....
    i'm a relationship person as the (almost) 15 months ive been with Ailbhe goes to show. I haven't gotten bored of my relationship and i don't plan on.
    What's to get bored of though? in 15 months i can fairly certainly say i've know 99% of whta's gone on in her life but there's many years previous that that i ain't got a clue about, yet.
    That'll take another couple of years at least and even then i wouldn't claim to know her 100%.

nuf of me talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Eh I don't.
    Women are the enemy, realise this and move on.
    Console yourself with the fact that yes women may not go out with you, but you can drop things on them from a great height and watch it bounce off the glass ceiling.

muhahaha
    Energon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Carolan

wuuuu i love this guy, i think we should random-person-meet. or do i know you? i like this idea of dropping things on people. want to climb trees with me? i climbed a tree yesterday but i got sap all over me.

love
    carolan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

ok... relationships... are good. with the right person...

but then it depends... you don't HAVE to have a relationship where the person is following you around. personally the idea of swinging is a good one. once it's a case of everyone knowing that there is only one true love in your life.

But that's the problem isn't it. i mean, how are you going to find love? it just doesn't exist any more... maybe before, but now we're better educated... or maybe i'm just a cynic.

And yeah.... i dunno... guys are NOT kind, sweet or funny. guys are silly, sad, pathetic wastes. and the guys who seem to be kind sweet and funny are usually pedophiles or perverts or castrated or psychotic under it all. personally i'm a smutty little bastard who's bi (it reflects my sex-crazedness), the plus side being that i'm kind and sweet (my humour is male geek humour unfortunately). <looks for any takers>

but... you can probably safely ignore all in this post cause at this moment i'm feeling somewhat bitter and hate filled and so may be being a LITTLE harsh on the world.

Lol, typdef's attitude may just the result of too many hours spent in front of a unix console. and having people echoing stuff like "banner women = root of all evil"

It'll brainwash a man. :p

the main thing that makes it very difficult for me to meet random people is that i don't really fancy people until i get to know them, so all i have before that is "she's hot" and give that thought little credence.
    Originally posted by lordsippa
    and the guys who seem to be kind sweet and funny are usually pedophiles or perverts or castrated or psychotic under it all.

hey! i've been called sweet and funny before, and as far as i know, i'm neither a pervert, peadophile, castrated or (very) psychotic :p

May be cus i'm just shy though. oh well.

and Sven, you're always harsh on the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

i think random people meeting can be good if you just want some action.bragging about it is stupid.going out specifically for it is stupid.

relationships can be super.once they don't get boring.but if it's the right person,or someone pretty close to,they're cool.

and neil,i can be like that too.i can really get all stupid over people,and it drives me insane.
    "for i love too much,and by such,by such is happiness thrown away."

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I've only ever kissed one person I wasn't going out with, and it's the worst kiss I've ever had (Well, unless you count an ex-boyfriend of mine who is yeuch...) I'm not really into all that kinda stuff

I think there have been two that i havent gone out with, and its definitely quite awkward for me.

Especially seeing as one of those two literally jumped me, leaving me a)stuck on the edge of a seat
    b)with no way to breath as her hair was in the way
    andc)me at one point opening my eyes and noticing this scary bald man staring at us!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Neil, that last bit is disturbing for so many reasons!

And Sven, I'm not a paedophile,psychotic,perverted (well.....no,no,I'm NOT perverted), or castrated (not for lack of trying though...eh,Orlaith,eh?) => *disagrees strongly*

• Advertisement

If its disturbing for you to hear about, how do you think I felt at the time??!?!?

Ehh...sorry 'bout that, none of you know who Orlaith is. Her solution to all of life's problems (or any time I piss her off) is to try and convince me that castration would make me a much more friendly, much nicer person. She's currently reading this over my shoulder, so I decided to piss her off some more by putting her up on the world wide web. Woe is me! :)

lol @ Neil :) .....what'd you do?

What could i do? i finished meeting her, mainly for the chance to breath, and sat and talked with her for a while, and then excused myself as soon as her friends came back. it was so awkward though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Mahotée

as always (or at least as often as possible), im basically with carolan.

because its fun. because alcohol disinhibits. because of the very temporary nature of it.

its just one of those things. i dont play computer games or play team sports. its nothing to be frowned on or praised by others, its a matter of personal choice.

as for stories... a lady never talks. apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Well, even if I wanted to I doubt I could find a willing subject for a random meeting :( I hate being ugly. but anyhoos, I'm more of a relationship person luckily, the only problem being that its quite rare that I'll find someone who I'm attracted to on a something-more-than-physical level. And then that never happens... so I'm usually just mr. lonely bugger. but hey, who cares? I'm in a good mood today (despite what this post's tone would indicate) so I think I might just stop complaining for a while...

}:>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I only advocate random meeting when drunk...
    Unfortunately when too drunk, it ends up producing quotes like:
    "He looked like he was being bitten"

soo...

-

This message contained gratuitous sex and violence and should have not been viewed by anyone (apart from the Justice League of America(They're the only one s you can trust)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

i used to be really into relationships but at the moment I'd rather make friends. I got the whole relationship thing out of my system last year

"Everyone needs an easy friend"

I've never much done the random meeting thing and maybe i never will. I can meet random strangers without much bother - I'm feeling really slutty at the moment - but meeting doesnt do much for me and I leave it to relationships - sentual masage, no thats another story :-)

Advertisement