Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

golden hard drive?

• 27-02-2001 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

Fop 32 bah sir and again i say bah get a fop 38 now thats noise hehehe.

Stone biggrin.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

its the IBM Deskstar series that come with Gateway machines iirc.. at least theres one in mine, im well happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

How much does a 20 gig hd cost these days? Bommom end of the price structures like.

~120 quid in irish shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep that FOP38 sounds like a jet taking off.

Yep Kali £120 for 20GBs sounds about right.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

How much does one of those IBM deskstars retail for (about 40/45 gig) ?

• Advertisement

your talking about 160-180..
    seems gateway dont stock them anymore, they use Quantum drives now:
    for their IDE 40Gb 7200rpm Ultra DMA-100 drive your talking £162 quid (including vat) which im pleasantly suprised at and which no doubt could be lowered if you know ppl in there smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Now that my HD bucked the kicket I'll have to go looking for a new one frown.gif

I'm going to be looking for a IDE about 40 - 60 gigs but I want a quiet one! The HD supplied with my Gateway is so quiet you'd hardly know the computer is on so I'm hoping to get another one just as quiet. It's not really something listed in the specification for a HD so does anyone know how to look for a quiet HD? Is it as simple as getting a 5,400rpm one instead of 7,200rpm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I've a 7200rpm HDD (46 gig IBM Desktar 75GXP, UDMA100) and you'd hardly know it's there - you could do a lot worse than getting one of these.

Unfortunately my GlobalWin FOP32 heatsink more than makes up for the lack of noise. Anyone know of a quieter heatsink for Socket A Athlons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

why dont u just ask gerry . for that price stg i can get a 30 gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Jazz, you can get a considerably quieter heatsink/fan for a Socket A in IT Direct in Parliament St, number's in the book.

They do a Coolermaster one for 7 quid, great fun to be had actually getting the GlobalWin off of course smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

elexes which price are you responding too cos in kalis second hes talking about the price of a 40/45 gig drive

so are all the IBM deskstar series quiet then? I know its some 15GB Quantum drive that i got from Gateway that's really quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Coolermaster eh? Excellent... and if I've any trouble with the Globalwin I'll just dig out my trusty crowbar tongue.gif
    nice one Castor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ZStation

Be aware:

The 30Gb and 45Gb 75GXP drives are having some serious reliability problems. I've had two die after 2 months. Almost exactly 2 months to the day for both.

Was round at the boss' house last night, his 75GXP started the exact same thing as my two (CRC errors in Win2k, screeching sounds) - pulled out the invoice. 2 months and 3 weeks old.

Check www.storagereview.com and their forum, you'll see many more people with the EXACT same problem.

I'm running with a 30Gb Fireball+AS now (for MP3 storage), much better than the 75GXP. Of course, the Atlas10k rocks. wink.gif

ZStation
    www.lanwarz.net - Belfast's premier LANParty.
    Celeron600@927, Asus V7700-64Mb, SBLive!, 512Mb PC133, Atlas10kII - making one hell of a CS box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

We have Seagate Barracudas in our Compaqs at work and they are pretty shweet! smile.gif

I managed to dig up the customs clearance doc for me old hd so I'll probably be getting on to Knowledge Micro about getting it replaced. It'll probably be corporate policy to give me the run around and **** me over so god only knows what'll happen there.

Does anyone know an international org or who I should complain to in a case like this? I bought the HD over the internet from an american company and it died in 3 months. Maybe they'll replace it for me without much headaches - as if rolleyes.gif

at the moment it looks like they won't replace it cos I didn't return it within 30 days. As if that's any length of time to assess something's quality rolleyes.gif

Knowledge Micro are going to replace the drive for me. I don't want to complain too much since they are replacing it but it's taken 3 months and counting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paladin:
    How much does a 20 gig hd cost these days? Bommom end of the price structures like.</font>

Seagate 20GB IDE (5400rpm) £83.00

i think that is 83+VAT so its about £100

The new one is actually a lot quieter than the old one. Maybe I should have been suspicios from the off redface.gif

I blame Apple. The pre-historic machines I used up there made me think all HDs were noisy crappy things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lucifer.POD:
    Seagate 20GB IDE (5400rpm) £83.00

i think that is 83+VAT so its about £100

</font>

Lemme guess Lucy. Jaguar? Do u have shares in that company r something?

Advertisement