Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Some different painting advice needed

Options
  • 27-03-2002 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to paint my old (oldish) bike helmet... Its white *shudder* and I know a couple of people that are mad to get their hands on it to express their creativity (hopefully)..

What I wanted to ask was is it possible for me to just go out any buy paint that I can put onto the helmet without damaging the surface or having the paint flake off after a matter of days/weeks. I'd be greatful if ye have any advice or suggestions.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I know it's probably a silly question to a man such as yourself Rymus, but did you call Mountjoy Motorcycles and see if they have anything or can recommend anyone who has??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There's a chap in Dublin called Paul Edgar who paints the helmets of a good few racers. I think his company is Edgar Designs. Twill cost about €300 though...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I heard things about how you must use a certain type of paint only, as some paints can damage the helmet by chemically breaking down the outer shell. or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Stephen
    I heard things about how you must use a certain type of paint only, as some paints can damage the helmet by chemically breaking down the outer shell. or something.

I heard pretty much the same as that when I last enquired about getting it done/doing it myself. Of course when they were volunteering that information they neglected to give me a type or brand of paint that wouldnt totally screw up the shell.

I would call Mountjoy Motorcycles except I'm in Cork.. I'll just have to ask the fella in the custom bike shop up in town.. ahhh well. That price sounds about right Robbo, I got quoted £100 to paint it flat black about a year ago.. back to the drawing board

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Youd be better off buying a new helmet with a design you like if that's the kind of price bracket for a repaint. Hey! you could then use your old helmet as a crisp bowl while entertaining guests!

• Advertisement

I already got a new helmet ( a fairly unique Arai one). Thats not the point tho.. if I was looking for a mainstream design I could go to any big bike shop and pick something off the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Oh i know it's entirely your choice but all i'm saying is a mainstream design at a fraction of the price would be more up my alley!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭king of fifa

did you chance the boys in CBF out in turners cross??

Originally posted by king of fifa
    did you chance the boys in CBF out in turners cross??

I did indeed.. quite some time ago... I think he said it would be about £100 to paint it one colour.. Must get some advice on it next time I'm out there..

Advertisement