Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP - Internet Connections

Options
  • 27-03-2002 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

A mate of mine is having problems with XP. Any program that accesses the internet is connecting automatically. For instance I set up Outlook and IE to NOT connect to the internet on start up but when outlook is opened it tries to connect anyway. I am used to Win 98 so I'm not too familiar XP and don't seem to be abe to see where the problem is.

Also he wanted to stop some programs from initialising on start up but I couldn't find the start up configuration utility so that I could remove them from the start up list.

It was wrecking his head and now it's wrecking mine too. Please help!

Ta.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by The_Scary_Man
    Also he wanted to stop some programs from initialising on start up but I couldn't find the start up configuration utility so that I could remove them from the start up list.
    If you want to stop programs from running when you log on, Start -> Run -> msconfig will let you change these settings.
    If you want to control what services start when the computer boots up, Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services. Be careful -- some of these services are critical, and Windows won't work if they're not running. Others are just useless bloat which slow down your machine though. See here for an extremely useful list of all the services in WinXP and whether it is safe to disable them.

Advertisement