Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New House, New Dish?

• 27-03-2002 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'm sure someone has been through this scenario before and may havce some advice, I've been subscribed to Sky Digital for over 12 months now and as I understand it I know own the equipment. However i have just bought a new house and would like to have Digital there.

As I see it my two options are

a. Get someone to get on my roof, take down the dish and put it up on my new house

b. Leave the dish and box there and transfer the account to the new owner (or cancel account) and open a new sky account in my new address.

Does anyone know, how much the option (a) might cost and know of anyone who can do it, i presume sky will be no use and would I be able to avail of the current new subscriber options if I go for (b), i.e. presumbably with a different addess I can pretend to be a new subscriber ??

Any got any thought to help me??

thanks,

Cb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Welcome to the forum, cbkingston! :)

We have discussed it here before, have a look at theSKY Digital and Moving House! thread.

Hope this answers some queries, if not, feel free to add to it.

Damien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by cbkingston
    I'm sure someone has been through this scenario before and may havce some advice, I've been subscribed to Sky Digital for over 12 months now and as I understand it I know own the equipment. However i have just bought a new house and would like to have Digital there.

As I see it my two options are

a. Get someone to get on my roof, take down the dish and put it up on my new house

b. Leave the dish and box there and transfer the account to the new owner (or cancel account) and open a new sky account in my new address.

Does anyone know, how much the option (a) might cost and know of anyone who can do it, i presume sky will be no use and would I be able to avail of the current new subscriber options if I go for (b), i.e. presumbably with a different addess I can pretend to be a new subscriber ??

Any got any thought to help me??

thanks,

Cb
    Hi, We charge 140 EUr for a new dish fitted but to be honest if you re subscribe it's obviously a lot cheaper and you get a newer faster box to boot. Hang on to you old box and card as when RTE comes on they will be much in demand.

Hope this helps

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

If it were me, I would cancel my existing account. Sign up with Sky for a new one using your new address, maybe with your partners name instead of yours. That way you can keep the existing box, and perhaps if you know someone in the UK, get a UK registered card, for the extra BBC stations, ITV stations, Channel 4 and Channel 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Shameless plug I knowbut i forgot to mention you can order your new box from our website www.satellite.ie

:)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cbkingston

Great,

thanks for the advise everyone, looks like I'll be cancelling my subscription and taking out a new one, unless I shimmy up the ladder myself, but I don't feel much up to that. One more question, the guy who is taking my old house has expressed an interest in taking over the package, can I transfer my account to him and leave hime the equipment (house warming present!) as I'll be getting new stuff anyway, or should he just subscribe himself as a new customer ?

Also I noticed on the threads before something about having to have a phone line in your house for new sky subscriptions, this wasn't needed last year for my subscription and I don't really want to have to put in an overpriced eircom line just for this, I guess this would be one of the benefits of taking the existing equipment with me..

Sorry for all the questions, but I too have tried to contact sky and found them most unhelpful, On Monday and Tuesday the number for them rang out all day and when i got through today it was to the Glasgow call centre who were hardly full of help! Felt like I was calling from another planet, the girl wanted to know if Dublin was in the Republic or Nothern Ireland!!! emm... Good training there methinks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

Keep the box. A visit to e-bay.co.uk would confirm how much a box sells for second hand:p
    And if you have to plug your new digibox into the eircom line, its only for 12 months. In addition, Sky are reported to be launching interactive services here in the Republic this year, so hence the need for the phone line.

Advertisement