Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much up front?

Options
  • 27-03-2002 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

When moving into a new house / flat / apartment etc. you generally have to give a deposit and an advanced payment right?

How much is this generally, are there any rules reguarding this?

The reason i ask is because when i moved to my present festering hell hole of sloth and dispare, i had to give a deposit of €45 and 1 week in advance €45. When i intend to move out i have to give (or rather i gave as i'm moving out next this weekend) 2 weeks notice then i wouldn't have to pay for those two weeks.

Now as for the new house, they want €355.52 up front, that is a deposit of [months rent] and a months rent in advance. Is that normal? Again when moving out i'll have the last month pre paid, and i'll get the deposit back when i leave.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

azezil - it is normal to pay a months rent in advance and a months rent as a deposit - it's a lot of money but landlords can do as they please in most cases 'cos if you don't pay, someone else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I know it is down the country, but €177.76(IR£140)/month seems like good value (compared to my €445(IR£350)). An I concur 1 month rent up front + 1 month deposit is normal.

I think commecrical clients pay about 3 month rent up front + 3 month deposit is normal.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

That's normal. Also, you wuld get the last week free in the current place and the rest back after an inspection by the landlord. the deposit is there so if you thrash the place, the landlord has money to fall back on.

Advertisement