Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Vs Sky (digital)

• 11-04-2001 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

I have had the Chorus crowd around at my door again trying to flogg me their digital service with phone (free line rental).

Does anyone actually have the Chorus didgital and is there any reason why I should rumble my original plan of switching to Sky Digital in May when my MMDS subscription runs out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Thats the million punt question no one seems to have had first hand experience of powernet at least.Had a laugh today chorus had one of those promotion wagons in the village today i couldnt help but stop and hassle the poor fella i swear i saw a tear in his eye by the time id finished with him hehehe

Stone biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

digital tv != powernet.

I personally wouldn't go with Chorus, their post-sales service is woeful from what I've heard and there are numerous faults with their systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I've heard that the UK terrestrial channels are finally coming to Sky Digital in Ireland. That was always one of the major things stopping me from even considering getting it. The disk and box are free here now as well.

If it's true (ask the supplier)I'd say get S-D, you'll also have plenty of other choice. I'd especially like to be able to get Film Four, for example.

And there's plenty of pr0n wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Here a interesting thing I saw on TV last night SKY are stopping there normal Sat service in the summer and are going Digital only.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I personally wouldn't go with Chorus, their post-sales service is woeful from what I've heard and there are numerous faults with their systems.</font>

Which is quite obvious even to people on analog. A lot of the channels coming though on analog now are coming into Chorus as digital signals. They've been having atrocious lockup and pixelisation problems, with channels lock up for the whole night quite regularly. I presume this is affecting digital users as well. Ultimately, De Multi don't have the technical know-how. They've never had it, and I doubt they ever will.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I've heard that the UK terrestrial channels are finally coming to Sky Digital in Ireland.</font>

AFAIK, BBC is already on digital satellite in Ireland, and the rest of the channels are only a matter of time. I pointed someone in the direction of the dude in the Aerial & Satellite Shop in Cork - who seems to be an all-round nice guy who really knows his stuff - about two weeks ago, and he reckoned it would be about a month, month and a half.

Me, I'm flipping to Sky. It's the principal of the matter - Chorus / Irish Multichannel / Cork Multichannel / Cork Communications never gave a damn about their customers, and I'll be delighted to give my money to someone else. They need to learn their lesson.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Here a interesting thing I saw on TV last night SKY are stopping there normal Sat service in the summer and are going Digital only</font>

Yes, but it's nothing to do with quality of service or anyhing like that, as they'd have you believe. It's a fairly obvious conspiracy when you get right down to it, because there's billions to be made out of getting people to switch. The TV companies and providers get to offer more services, like shopping and interactive advertising and marketing; the TV manufacturers, distributors and retailers get people buying digital TV's to keep up with the Joneses; and the governements get new licence deals, and recycled space in the spectrums.

They're not doing it for our benefit. smile.gif

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement