Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless lans..

• 27-03-2002 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hands up if the company you work for has wireless lans..

Am just wondering how popular they are in companies.

I know its in use in my company.

Ro.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Not in irish office. Over in london yeah. Along with their adsl. bastards.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

I can imagine not many Irish companies have embrassed WLANs yet.

They should realise that WLANs are perfect for customers who visit manufacturing sites, etc and want to web-connect without the hassle of finding a patch panel/cable.
    Each day integrated Wireless/Bluetooth is becoming more a standard in laptops and PDA/Handhelds. Just like DSL, Ireland will probably wait until they need to invoke such a technology as wirless from peer pressure as opposed to taking that step forward and taking an inititative for once.

J.

P.S> This post is coming from a wireless laptop 100 feet away from its adhoc peer which is a SNL gateway....and BOY is it cold out here in the garden!

"Go away dog!"
    J :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

I know not many have it, thats why I'm trying to get a feel for the number of companies that are using it...

Ro.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

whats your company ronin? are they irish? :bandit:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There are about 6 or 7 WLANs in Waterford (some of them belong to Wterford Corp)

We are looking at providing Wireless conections back to staff houses

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

My company has wireless...
    We have about 15 Avaya PCMCIA cards, which are used in laptops and some IPAQs..

Very handy for meetings etc, when you have to move to another room..

We are a Networking Software house though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dannny4_29

i want to know if there is wireless in tramore (county waterford) at railway square

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

A couple of times I've driven around Dublin City Centre with the laptop on and Netstumber up and running - a lot of businesses use it, and a frighentingly large percentage of them don't bother with WEP encryption either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There are a few people doing wireless out in Tramore.

Its possible that some of those open WLANS you see with netstumbler are using alternitive forms of security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

We have three different wireless lans in the office

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

we have wireless lan, 27 users wired and wireless for when in meetings, works pretty well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Company next door has at least 2 WAPs. The odd time I bring my laptop into work, it picks up at least 5 (sometimes up to 10 access points). Then again I do work very close to the Clarion Hotel in Limerick, which has all sorts of masts and things up on it - I think IrishWAN use it and IrishBroadband too. I have no idea how secure any of them are.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

where i work has one, ( and I work for a Department store)

and its completly open....

Advertisement