Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i love irish

Options
  • 28-03-2002 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

just wanted to say that...

wish i had to use it and i wish i was better at it

the usual arguement applies... i was always taught how to write as ghaeilge but never to speak in irish

michael

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I really don't understand how this could be,
    i was always taught how to write as ghaeilge but never to speak in irish
    You don't learn a language without learning it orally, after all we were all thought to speak before we could read or write
    wish i had to use it and i wish i was better at it
    It's not too late :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I remember going to Club Chonradh na Gaeilge, in Harcourt Street, Dublin - after a few pints, I found the cupla focail were a lot easier to remember. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

after a few pints, I found the cupla focail were a lot easier to remember.

the same thing happens me...... :o

I talk alot of cac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Originally posted by Molly
    You don't learn a language without learning it orally, after all we were all thought to speak before we could read or write

Sure you can. It depends on your learning style. I could read and write Danish long before I ever heard it spoken. Same thing for Irish. I could read and write it fairly well before I felt confident speaking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Maith thú a Pholarbelly!
    (Fair Play Polarbelly!)

There are people who have fluent irish but who don't give a **** about it, or even refuse to speak it.

Then there are people like Polarbelly, who have the will to change the fact that they're not proficient and have a genuine care for the language. Those people are the future of irish.

Molaim thú arís!
    (I commend you again!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

There are people who have fluent irish but who don't give a **** about it, or even refuse to speak it.

I believe i have fluent irish, but I have no one to speak irish with outside of my irish class's outside of my school, and i'm sure alot of others have the same problem as me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Tá fáil ar chomhrá leictreonach ag GAELIC-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

molly,

the first time i spoke irish in school was in 6th year for my oral preperation

i had read from books and stuff in primary school but anyone can read irish without actually understanding... you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I too am fond of irish but it should definately be more orally thought. Mar shampla: after the LC i will tell you all you about the theme of some old sadass poem, but i probably couldn't have a chat with you about a match or something. They should teeach it about 60% orally and the rest on paperwork. That will arouse interest, fan go bhfeicfidh tú!

Advertisement