Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantum Computers and other SF oddities of today

• 28-03-2002 3:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a bit of info (layman's) on Quantum computers (not computing - I've enough maths in my Eng Course :)) and some pix as I like to read this sort of stuff even though i don't pretend to understand (yet) exactly how it's done.
    And to open the floor to discussion;
    Anyone found any pix/info on strange/wonderful computer-related stuff lately?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I haven't heard much about quantum computing, but bio computing is getting closer all the time. I think researchers have gotten molecules to act as switches, with more than 2 states. If you trawl through the archives of www.arstechnica.com you should find plenty of links to quantum and bio computing info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

This is the place to be
    http://www.qubit.org/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Simon Singh's The Code Book has an excellent section on quantum cryptography, which explains quantum computing quite well in layman's terms. I highly recommend it.

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i've had that book for the last few months...
    some day I'm sure I'll read it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Yeah, The Code Book does have a pretty good introduction to quantum crypto, doesn't really touch on quantum computing tho. People always seem to think those two are one and the same, quantum crypto is, if anything, just a facet of quantum computing, or a result of quantum computing.
    Quantum computing covers the whole field of computing not just encryption.

I remember an article on slashdot about IBM (I think) creating a 7-qubit QC. The pic was just a test-tube!
    Worth searching on slashdot.org for quantum computing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

thanks lads, a bit of reading now :)

Bio comp is so 5 mins in the future Gerry, ;) sure haven't they got the two DNA strands working as a vice grips on the nano-fusion reactor on that mg mac that fell into the transmogrifier.....

:)

R&D is one sure way for a company to stay successful.
    Look at IBm, Trumpf, etc.
    Loads put back into R&D ona ll sorts of projects, makes sense, the only way to improve your situation is to move forward. Whether you trip or leap is irrelevant, your still moving forward.
    Entropy, ladies, gentlemen andmisc. is what it's all about :)

Advertisement