Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading CPU

Options
  • 28-03-2002 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I have a crap PC at home and Im looking to ugrading without changing the motherboard cause i might have to change case.... couldn't be arsed so does anyone know where i could pick up a Pentium 2 333MHz anywhere its as high as I can go with the current motherboard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm guessing you have a Socket7 mobo with a plain old Pentium in it.
    Overclock the chip.
    Scrounge a bit f EDO ram off someone (I'll give you 16Megs for a fiver if you're near galway), load it with a few old IDE hard drives and install a few old games and turn it into an MP3 player.
    Then go out and buy a new PC.
    You could get a decent enough machine with €7-900, even better if you keep the monitor you have.
    Try and get it VAT-free too, ad build it yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by SyxPak

You could get a decent enough machine with €7-900

so i can get a 'leet' machine for €20 ?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Total Posts: 1528 (7.48 posts per day)
    omg liek :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well if he said it can go up to a p2 333 its not a pentium 1 based machine. You might be able to get a celeron 533, stick it on a slot1 adapter (celeron 533 is socket 370, your board is slot1) and that would be as far as you can upgrade.

Otherwise, as syxpak said, turn it into an mp3 player or some sort of server and get a new pc.

If you post up what case you have we may be able to tell you if a new motherboard would fit in it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If its a slot 1 motherboard I have a p2 400 you can have for €30.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

How much RAM do you have? (Dempseyt)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I have Dell Dimensions XPS D233. It has a Pentium 2 233MHz Processor with 192 PC66 SDRAM.

I e-mailed Dell and they said "These systems use the Intel LX AGPSet, and as such will only support an original
    Pentium II (the "Klamath") processor running at a maximum of 333 MHz with the
    Dell BIOS. Dell only supports the following Pentium II processor speeds on
    these systems: 233, 266, 300 and 333 MHz."
    I'm not sure about putting in a CPU with the wrong voltage level that I might blow the crap out of it and i want it to fit the chipset.

Any help would much be appreciated, Dell and Intel websites are no help.

P.S. I have a new Dell worth €3,700. I have them networked i want it to run faster so i can run C&C Renegade. Multiplayer is v.good. It would probably be cheaper to upgrade it ...wouldn't it?

Yes, dell will only support up to a 233, but you should be able to run a celeron 533 on the board, with a slotket adapter. The lx supports the celeron, but you will need to check that your board can support a lower voltage than 2.8 which is what your current chip runs at. It is very likely that it will support the 2v for the celeron. You just have to search the web for other people upgrading your exact model number of machine. Afaik your machine uses the intel al440lx board, you can double check that by opening your case, and seeing what is printed on the board. A program called wcpuid (google) should be able to help also. If you go to its system info section it should tell you the name of your motherboard, which you can then fire into google.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Try and get it VAT-free too

How would one go about doing that?

Downloaded that utility. Its said the platform is Slot 1. So you reckon a Celeron 533MHz and a socket adapter will do the trick (considering voltages and all that stuff)?. I'll be able to fit these (socket adapter and CPU) in the case or do have use common sense?

Anyone know where i could get one of these adapters and Celerons?

• Advertisement

Yes, we know the platform is slot 1, however it should mention the motherboard name or at least the bios name in the system information option. I reckon the celeron would work, just want to make sure first.

I though I'd just confirm it.

The following info was got using System info (via table access):

BIOs Information:
    Vendor String: Intel Corp.
    Version String: 4A4LL0X0.10A.0017.P06
    Release Date: 11/10/97
    ROM Size: 256Kb

Motherboard Information:
    Manufacturer: Intel Corp.
    Product String: AL440LX
    Version String: AA678149-309

There is all the info I know of.....wasn't sure what u were after sooooo, here u are

http://home.earthlink.net/~billselk/al440lx/slockets2.html

If you get a powerleap pl-ip3 socket which has an onboard voltage regulator, you can use celeron2 up to 766.
    Otherwise, you can just use celeron up to 533 with an ordinary slotket.

You will have to upgrade the bios on your board:

http://appsr.cps.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=38&strTypes=BIO%2CDRV&ProductID=198&OSFullName=Non-OS+Dependent&submit=Go%21

Has anyone seen a Celeron 533MHz or a Celeron2 733MHz for sale on any website that delivers to ireland? I have had no luck so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Try the Wanted board under Classifieds, might get lucky.

Advertisement