Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD's on hard disks

• 28-03-2002 4:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Any software to put DVD's on your hard drive as mpegs or avi files?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Do a goolge for DivX.
    you'll find what your looking for eventually :)
    handy for a laptop and a long train journey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

http://www.digital-digest.com is where its at.

or you can get a package i built well over a year and a half ago, that has more or less everything you will need. you can get that from here http://www.iol.ie/~flamegrill/divx-stuff.zip.

its about 10mb or just a little under. it includes DvDdecrypter, flaskMPEG, DivX 3.11 alpha codec and other bits and bobs :). i have 5 also somewhere, ill get you linkage to that if you wish :)

the site above has the latest version's or links to the latest versions of most of the software i included.

be ware that DvD's can range from approx 4gb up to and including 17GB approx, although most are on either double sided single layer DvDs or just single sided, single layer DvDs :)
    so what im saying is you'll need about 4-7GB for your average DvD. i think i got that right :)

Regards,

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

www.doom9.org

Download the full Gordian Knot 0.21 collection. Stupid-proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

it takes AGES to Rip a DVD

bomb

Ah it shoudlnt take anymore than 30 minutes to rip a DvD, but its the DivX encoding that takes the time. It can take hours and hours, it all depends on what you have processor wise.

I've got an Athlon 750 with 512mb Ram, and it takes on average 8 - 10 hours to encode a DvD.

Regards,

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdtovcd.htm has many decent guides with illustrations to show you how to rip DVD's with links to neccessary software etc...

compression wise, if you have the disk space, i'd store them as .mpeg's , my main reason is because my DVD-out can output .mpeg's , but not .avi's

- noog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Mpeg1 is of lower quality than a DivX/Mpeg4 AVI though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Originally posted by _CreeD_
    Mpeg1 is of lower quality than a DivX/Mpeg4 AVI though.

It may be of lower quality but you can convert mpeg1 to vcd and watch it on a big TV through your DVD player, provided it can play VCD's, most can though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by flamegrill
    Ah it shoudlnt take anymore than 30 minutes to rip a DvD, but its the DivX encoding that takes the time. It can take hours and hours, it all depends on what you have processor wise.

I've got an Athlon 750 with 512mb Ram, and it takes on average 8 - 10 hours to encode a DvD.

Agreed to both, but if u get faster processor it makes a whole lot difference.
    I used to have Duron 700 with 512RAM...8-10hrs to encode.
    However when i upgraded to a 1.2ghz Duron same movie took 4.5 hrs with Divx 5.0

Originally posted by TinCool

It may be of lower quality but you can convert mpeg1 to vcd and watch it on a big TV through your DVD player, provided it can play VCD's, most can though.

Actually you can make VCD's very easily from DivX movies with Nero. Takes a bit of time though, it will depend on you processor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

On a side note, does anyone know of a possible reason for why Smart Ripper seems to rip DVD's to my harddrive at 1.1x constant?

My drive is a 12x creative drive, and my harddrive is a 40gig maxtor 5400rpm , the motherboard is a brand new abit one, and both drives are on seperate IDE cables. I think it could have something to do with my ASPI driver, which i forced onto XP, but i cant be sure....

Can anyone throw any light onto the situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

DivX 5.0 Alpha 2.0, Where is the encoder or what ever? Me blind, can't see it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Mr.StRiPe

Check out Easy Divx
    After you download and run it, just put your DVD in the drive click go and 4-5 hours later the movie is ripped to divx format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

hmm, took me 15mins to rip the matrix (for backup of course), and normally takes 5 to 6 hours to encode the divx. I got 6 divx movies on the pc but the quality varys greatly even though I encode them at 850kb/sec, 1 pass variable bit rate or 2 pass, which do you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Ripping and Encoding DivX'es isn't the same simple operation as for mp3's.

Apart from the whole time factor, the data that makes up the vobs (those 1Gig files ripped off before encoding) of a DVD is far more complex than a simple wave (stored as .cda on CD) audio track. DVD's have built in compression in order to save space and are this causes complications when encoding. A DVD may be big but a fully digitally encoded film would be enormous.

Afaik:

To see this effect find part of a proper DVD with continuous motion and play it frame by frame. You'll see that the main action area is clear but part of the image is blurred and may appear to move slightly backwards occasionally. This is because frames are encoded by difference from previous ones as this usually takes less data. Hardware DSP's / Software Codecs can then put the images together seamlessly. A certain loss of quality is always found on very close inspection and these parts of films are often manually altered to insure accurate reproduction.

These problems are amplified by DivX as the software codec has difficulty compensating for inacuracies in digital reproduction. The compressibility of the film depends on this and encoding quality at a certain bit-rate is dependant on compressability.

This means that films of similar length may not encode eqally well (or even close to it) at the same bit-rate, especially where there is ahigh rate of image change in the scene.

For a completely accurate version and encoding guides, visit:
    http://www.doom9.org.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I went to the Doom site and into the newbie section. I have a 120Gb hard disk how do i check what speed (rpm) that its at?

He says that your hard disk will crash every 3-4 months, is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I doubt he said that, tho I havn't read the Newbie guide.

I'd say he might have been referring to Windows reinstalls. For a clean, fast and trouble free system it does need to be done more often than most of us would like.

Advertisement