Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oj want to know what you like to cook...?

Options
  • 28-03-2002 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

ok, OJ has asked me again to see what everyone likes to cook.
    personally i can burn water.
    i suffer from kitchen performance anxiety. thanks jamie oliver!

anyway, i recently got a stir fry cook book from marks and sparks and its turned my life around. you cant stop me thowing a wok on the burner and throwing everything into it and frying the crap out of it!!!!
    at the moment, im a bit of a mug for spicey chicken satay stir fry.
    so easy to make and tastes dreamy :)

mind you, i do cheat a little bit and get the fresh veg stir fry mix from sainsburys with all the water chestnuts and yummy bamboo shoots....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    you cant stop me thowing a wok on the burner and throwing everything into it and frying the crap out of it!!!!

mind you, i do cheat a little bit and get the fresh veg stir fry mix from sainsburys with all the water chestnuts and yummy bamboo shoots....

I'd be pretty much the same, quick, nice food. Stir fry's are wicked and simple.
    Else a nice steak is great, slap some black peppercorns on it, lash it on a griddle, fry the onions on there as well, and sauté some mushrooms, some nice real chips and you're done.... shplendid!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I like sitr-fries, but I generally tend to try and vary my cooking as much as possible.

Basically - I'm an allrounder.

And yes - I have all three Jamie books. They're not bad in terms of the recipes, whatever you think of the bloke himself.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

I can cook most anything (or at least make a decent attempt at it anyway) once I have the recipe in front of me.
    Except for potatoes :) I can never seem to cook them right :) they're never cooked right for me, either too soft or too hard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i can cook pritty much anything too, just too lazy. These days teh most i cook in scrambled eggs, beans n toast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

For simplicity my favourite is...
    An Egg White Omlette- its virtually foolproof

Just separtate 2/3 eggs,
    lash them on a pan, with some spring onions, mushrooms, peppers (red/yellow preferably), mangetout or sugar snaps and sometimes some chopped courgette.

Then just sit back let heat induction take its course:D
    [Egg whites are great for the protein as well- and no fat]
    Only things to be careful of are to make sure you keep the edges from sticking to the pan and have a big/wide plate for when you go to the flip the omlette over onto it- Other than that, its incredibly simple:)

Alternatively you could that in the microwave, as a more scrambled egg option- usually about 3-4 mins- you might want to give the veggies though a quick 30-40 seconds in the microwave first though bcos they wont cook as fast as the eggs- unlike on a pan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I like to cook Chicken Kiev, Lasagne or Tagliatelle alla Carbonara... doesn't mean I DO cook it much.... but when I do, t'is nice.

Beans on toast is about as much as I manage to rustle up in my usual half-awake state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Omlette, best way of describing it, mmm fluffy.

Sweat n Sour Chicken and rice

Garlic Potatoes

I've recently been charged with the task of making chocolate cake, by the g/f, so I might add that to my short list in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

This season I will be mostly eating.....

I tend to go for stir fries, whether its chicken or pork I aint to bothered, usually accompanied with some nice egg noodles, very handy when they cook in under 4 mins and are very filling. Sweet and sour chicken/pork is damn nyom as well. And then ya cant forget the humble spud! served with half the Irish fishing quota of nice cod and half a field of carrots :) with white sauce of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

I like to cook Stuffed chicken wrapped in Rashers and served with Gaelic Potatoes. If any one wants the recipe just ask, it's a real dish.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Wow, Oj is suprised that many of you lads can cook :)

One of my faverite things to cook would be something simple and quick, enough for a nice snack,
    Such as scramble egg & toast, or a pizza is done, those good fella's pizza's, cooked at 160deg, cooks very nice and slowly, nyom

Homemade burgers made out of roundsteak mince are also very nice munch too, I can't stand burgers that you buy premade in shops, dono why, but those "Good Al's" I think thats the name, they're very nice :)

Frosties are also a good thing to munch at late at night, but thats not really considered cooking is it?
    Tis in my book :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

Post up the recipe please.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Sandwiches.
    Get a nice butcher burger (or whatever you ahve handy - vegie burgers are nice with this)
    A Bap. prefebly wholemeal/brown
    Grill/fry some nice streaky rashers
    Thinly* cut a bit of tomato, cucumber, gherkin, baby sweetcorn, lettuce, fair bit cheese - a few differenrt types, some mayonaise, bit of Ballymaloe relish, stack it all with teh cheese layered between it, having lightly melted each (thin) layer of cheese as you go. prehaps 1 layer of cheese for every 2-3 layers of others.
    pop the bap together and enjoy. might want a small bit of chicken in there too.

*Thinly is imporant, unless you want abig mess of a tower-sandwich with everything falling out onto the plate - unless you like that sort of thing. A big wide bap is wise.

Big thick billowy loaded omlettes are abso-fúcking-lootly savage :)

Stirfry is nice when it's nottoo greasy.
    Pasta+cheese/Spaggethi Bologenase (spelling)+cheese (grated) is nice too.

Frisp Sandwich.
    Chip butty.
    Fillet steak, potatoes and steamed veg - nyom.
    Lightly fried pasta shoots/warmed in saucepan with some butter - good tuckka :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 handyandy

I can cook: TV dinners

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

You still can't beat a good fry.

4 sausages, well fried but not quite burnt.
    2-4 rashers.
    two nice bitsa bread, toasted.

has kinda become a stable diet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

My show off dishes are
    Tikka Masala, Chicken Vindaloo

Which I got my good 'ol Mom to teach me how to make. In our house it's all pasta/rice, and basically wok food. Mom is lethal with a wok, and she can also cook with it too ;)

What I make when I'm hungry
    Frisp, grated cheese, chilli melt
    Ministrone soup
    Pizza (I can't stress this enough, especially when it's cold, but with no meat toppings)

Basically I love really hot/spicy food, and usually end up ordering chineese/indian quite a bit. It's the easy/expensive way out. Pity those restaurants don't do discount offers like the pizza outlets. :(

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 handyandy

Waffle sandwiches (with pepper and salt).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The very odd time, at this stage:

Talgliatelle in a Pecan, walnut and cream sauce.

Venison in a garlic, herb and tomato sauce, with olives, with a side dish of polenta.

Trout with a cream and artichoke sauce on a bed of bread soaked in fish stock, with a side dish of baked plumb tomatos stuffed with herbs and rice.

More often, regrettibly:

Spaghetti in a garlic, olive oil and chilli sauce.

Chilli con Carne.

Anything I can nuke :(

Advertisement