Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wuthering Heights

Options
  • 28-03-2002 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

At school we recently had, as a homework, the question of making into a film Wuthering Heights. Which actors? Music? Lighting? etc...
    I contemporised it.
    Is that sacrelige or was I right to do so?
    [My English teacher wasn't too impressed and gave me a C]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I thought there was a film of it already. Wasn't it on Channel4 in the last couple of weeks. I'd swear it was. Granted I didn't watch it so I couldn't be held to my word, but I'm pretty sure.

LOL, try and download a DivX version, put it on a CD and give it to your English lecturer. Tell him to give you something more difficult next time, and that you need funding to pay the outstanding overheads. :D

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Yep, there was a film, and a for TV mini-series.

As for modernising it, can't see a problem there. Been done recently with Romeo and Juliet in both the film (of the same name) and West Side Story and quite a few others.

I doubt your teacher gave you the C for just modernising it. Maybe you should re-examine the casting choices and locations you picked. You probably changed some core elements of the book or took emphasis off a character. That could have a serious side-effect to the book as a whole.

My old english teacher once asked us what the mushroom in the garden symolised!!! Best answer I heard was, "a lump of fungus". Teachers can over examine a story sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

This is what I can remember of my homework...

Lockwood - american journalist, narrates by writing an email on his laptop

Arrives at the Grange after getting off a bus and walking a mile or two in heavy rain

Catherine Zeta Jones as... Catherine

Frank Kelly as Joseph !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭apiou

I'd say you got a C because you did not look in to it and you certainly forgot to mention Laurence Olivier and of course Merle Oberon and David Nivel (made in 1939 - i know its old) - it is not that times change it is just that That version was the Masterpiece. If you are doing Wuthering Heights for the leaving cert - good idea to look at that version (can but it in town - tower records or other for around 6 euro.

Sorry made a mistake - should read - David Niven -

• Advertisement

I was unaware of its existence, as was the teacher- I told him that there had been a WH made for the screen in the 60s and he didn't know; also he made no mention of any other screen adaptations of the novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

We watched two different versions of it when I was in school, surely he knows about them. Hated that bloody book.

Well I reckon he's only just qualified a year or so- he was dead nervous the first day we had him

Well if your teacher does not know of the 1939 version with Laurench Olivier and he wants to watch the best version of W H I bought mine at TOWER RECORDS in Dublin for 5.99 it is a Samuel Goldwyn picture. It is in black and white and lasts 104 minutes. Worth the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

...only has the first half of the book though. Ends with the death of the first Catherine (note to self - read book rather than watch movie before doing exam)

• Advertisement
Advertisement