Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC-DVD playback on TV

• 28-03-2002 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

What is the easiest way to connect the TV-out
    from my graphics card on my PC to play back DVD movies
    on the TV downstairs?

Ideally, I would like to be able to control the DVD player
    with a remote control.

I have come across the following device from the US which
    would be ideal:

http://www.x10.com/products/x10_vk53a.htm

Anyone had any experience using this device or similar?

Alternatively, is the only other way to hardwire a cable direct
    from the TV-out to the TV and have to fiddle with the PC
    controls directly?

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

That peice of kit looks pretty nifty... At the moment im using a creative encore 12x DVD-ROM with a creative drx3 hardware encoding card with extended resolution. it connects to my TV screen using an s-video lead. If your TV doesn't have s-video in, you can purchase a little cube socket yoke that fits s-video into a SCART lead on your television. As for the wireless DVD broadcasting, i haven't heard much about it, but i presume you'll still need to provide the tv-out facilities from your computer, if you haven't already got tv-out , i reccomend the creative dvd encore packages.

- noog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Using same as Super Noodle - can recommend it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I have the Creative DXR3 kit and I've never got it to sucesfully output to a telly. Is there some software to be used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42142&highlight=decoder

basicaly the same set up, for about 15 euro all together

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

Robbo: Assuming you have your hardware setup correctly as mentioned in the thread that Boston mentioned...

Software wise you have few options:

If you run 95/98/Me/NT/2K then i suggest you just use the PC-DVD software which was bundled with your player (if it wasn't , you can find it on the creative site)

If you're running Windows XP , then you'll need to get the updated XP driver, and software , which in essence is the hollywood plus software with a creative logo stamped onto it (both of which are free for download on creative.com)

hope it helps

- noog

(by the way, extended resolution on a large telly playing back DVD's (or even .mpeg's) makes it look uber sweeeet. better than a lot of regular graphics cards outputs imo)

• Advertisement
Advertisement