Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rang eircom about adsl today

Options
  • 28-03-2002 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭

Bought a new house here in Limerick and thought I might chance my arm to get to the top of the ADSL list...so i rang the lady that is in charge of ADSL in Limerick.

"Have you heard of ISDN?" she said...

Well my jaw dropped. Qoute Unqoute she said "you'll be waiting to be honest (for adsl)"

A bit frustrating that ISDN (she seemed very surprised when I calmly said that ISDN was WAYYYY to expensive) is still being promoted as a broadband solution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

ESAT are testing ADSL from the Roches Street exchange in Limerick at the moment. So if you are within 2k of there you may be in luck shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

cheers! maybe ill just stick to a mobile for another couple months to see what pans out then. i wont hold my breath tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ElNino
    ESAT are testing ADSL from the Roches Street exchange in Limerick at the moment. So if you are within 2k of there you may be in luck shortly.

Hmm, time to make a phone call - within 200m of there (thanks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

it means nothing, nothing at all, i was told id be waiting for adsl, 12 days before i got it installed.

also dont forget that you may be on a totaly different exchange, then the one 200m away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 keithwhir

does any one know if theres anything going on in galway ADSL wise ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 RFHost

I second keithwhir's request!!

Does anyone know anything about the state of ADSL in Galway. I am sick of waiting. I want ADSL and I want It now...:p :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

any news on waterford either?

Originally posted by RFHost
    I second keithwhir's request!!

Does anyone know anything about the state of ADSL in Galway. I am sick of waiting. I want ADSL and I want It now...:p :p

i think i heard mention somewhere that an exchange or two had been unbundled in galway, you will probably find it if you search the forum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Galway has been highlighted for unbundling, but I have no information as to whether contracts have been signed or work has begun yet. That said, the number of exchanges signed for is now into double figures, so there's a fair chance Galway is in there somewhere.

adam

Esat now have over ten exchanges unbundled, and have their equipment in two - Limerick and Ballina and loops are being unbundled. Nevada tele.com; Kokomo and Hyperlan are also active

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Tizlox
    any news on waterford either?

Nothing yet but apparently (RUMINT) space is being made in the exchanges for possible ADSL equipment.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I was just wondering does anybody know whats the story with ADSL in cork?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was just wondering does anybody know whats the story with ADSL in cork?

I do, but it's not worth telling you because it's all rumour and supposition, from multiple sources. Seriously, you don't want to know. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 The Devil

How much does adsl cost ?
    Did I hear somewhere that there's a cap on how much stuff you can download ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

A friend of mine who lives in Dublin says you have to pay per-minute for the call also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

pay per minute for calls??

if you are taking about adsl you are wrong.

you are always connected to the net. the only way you will have to pay more than the sub is by going over the cap that eircon insist on putting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I might be wrong, but I do remember being shocked about what I heard...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Kennett
    I might be wrong, but I do remember being shocked about what I heard...

Are you sure your friend was confusing broadband with *cough* "High-Speed" ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

He must have meant the voice calls, for the internet connection side of ADSL you only pay the monthly charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

For those newbies, Kennett(oops sorry for naming u!) :):)

you pay a monthly charge for use of adsl to connect and use the internet 24/7 over normal phone line(adsl runs on it)....thats all the charge internet based, and depending on what eircoN release, you will pay installation charge and probably have a download cap as well....go over the cap and you will pay ALOT.

The voice calls and line rental are totally separate billing, same as what you pay now !..no change there !!
    If you dont believe me check eircoNs website, its all there about it !!

Hi-speed junk(isdn) is NOT broadband, you pay dearly for time spent accessing and using the internet, and pay twice the line rental of a normal phone line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement