Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Haine

• 28-03-2002 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭

Network 2, 00:10am tonite, if you've not seen it, nows yer chance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Wicked film, if you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth a watch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Smashin! Love that film! I've seen it loads of times and I'll watch it again tonight if I remember.

Why does RTE always show the good films on late?:confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

if you like that one - have you ever seen 'Doberman'?

I know it's off topic but it blows La Haine out of the water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

I have bits of the soundtrack to this film. Whoot whoot assasin la police. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

whoot whoot thats the sound of the police :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

saw it in school, great film

one question: who thinks Hubert is a crap name for a 6 foot 6 boxer weighing roughly 300lbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

I liked it but I thought it got a little weak halfway through and went into Paris.It didnt seem to have much to do with the main plot i thought.And call me a slave of Hollywood but I thought it would have been better in colour.Still not too bad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Terrific film, I thought. If you haven't seen it, watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Great film, worked very well in Black and White.

I think its "assassin de la police, regardez police ", its defo in French and its defo DJ Cut Killer that does it.

The " Woop-woop! , That's the sound of da police! " is a KRS1 track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Ah scutter I fell asleep! And I had a reminder in my phone to watch it and all!!! :mad:

• Advertisement

aye its cut killer
    i thought he sampled the krs1 track meself
    probaly wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

a great film but i couldn't go to the jacks or anything in case i missed some dialogue. it was thoroughly enjoyable though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭king of fifa

la haine c'est bon.anyone know any other good foriegn films?

Yes.

La Femme Nikita
    The Crimson Rivers
    Man Bites Dog
    Hard Boiled
    Ring
    Battle Royale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 kilian

amazing film one of me favorites of all time... !!!

if you missed it on TV just there, perhaps I can give a small gem of information to anybody who is considering buying "la haine" on DVD-

-Don't buy it in ireland (if you find it anywhere)

-And don't order it from england!!!!!

-order it straight from france!

amazon.fr stock it- and at EUR 10 less than the english version!

I made the mistake of first getting it from england- the dogiest subtitles I've ever seen- plain white, on a black and white film, so half the time you couldn't see them! even worse, they were part of the video track- so you can't turn them off or anything.

the french version, on the other hand is a gem:
    it's got a range of different subtitle options (including english), and audio options (incase you want to watch it in german). And also some great extra features (short film, making of, trailers..) all in french but worth having!

yellum- all top notch flicks, but can i also recomend a few:

delicatessen

la cite des enfants perdus (the city of lost children); reel world on leeson st. is the only place I know of stocking an origional french (subtitled) version)

taxi (luc besson's superb, if corny, action/comedy)

Hana Bi (fireworks)

Violent Cop
    (and any other film by takeshi kitano)

run lola run

das boot

there's so many more! if you want to rent foreign movies check out laser on georges st. and ranelagh or reel world on leeson st.

How could I forget Run Lola Run ? tut tut. I have it here on dvd too. Das Boot is also damned good.

I saw Brother by takeshi kitano , damned fine film.

Thanks for the heads up on the dvd for La Haine.

whats crimson rivers like??
    i know its by the same director as la haine

yellum-
    brother is good, innit- got the DVD recently! loved battle royale too!

no worries about la haine DVD- glad to spare you the heartache...

RasTa-
    afraid I haven't seen it! anything of mathiew kassovitz i have seen is excellent though. Damn fine actor he is too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭king of fifa

thanking you folks. i'll be down to laser.

• Advertisement

Crimson Rivers is like a french version of Seven. Its really good. Jean Reno and Vincent Cassels, bound to be well acted.

It is beautifully shot, really rich colours. Very enjoyable. Theres this weird bit in it though, where it turns into a mini kung-fu film for 5 minutes.

I'm really getting into French films recently and have a new-found appreciation for the language, so much so that I think I'm going to make an effort to learn it. Haven't done french since junior cert.

cheers yellum must check out crimson rivers. sounds good!
    i'm also trying to improve my french; what I do now when I watch la haine is watch it with french subtitles- it really helps to learn the language!

the french really know how to make good films man! when you think about the amount of crap that comes out of the states... but on the whole most french films are pretty good.

It's just such a pity that it's so hard to find foreign films in ireland- particularly in the cinema. The only place really is the IFC.
    do you remember the light house cinema on abbey street? closed down when I still had to sneak into the 18s but will be sorely missed!

I'm from Cork and its the Kino arthouse cinema where I go to find those interesting films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Funny Games is a brilliant German movie by Michael Haneke, 'tis quite twisted though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭jes

if you want to see some good foreign films, check these out

Brotherhood of the wolf (french)
    Devil's Backbone (spanish)
    Amores Perros (mexican)

Totally brilliant.

Crimson rivers was the biggest piece of poo i have ever seen.
    Avoid that muck.

poo you say? hmmm...
    amores perros was great! devil's backbone, though?? heard a lot of bad reports and decided not to see it! i'll check it out on video sometime. Brotherhood of the wolf is a well dodgy title but i'll give it a shot.
    Check out das experiment (there's already another thread started about it) finishes tomorrow in the IFC.

I beg to differ.

you will have to see both Brotherhood of the wolf and devil's backbone before you make your opinion.

worth noting, Brotherhood of the wolf was France's biggest ever budget for a film.

Dammit i miss the IFC.
    I'm now in Adelaide Australia and there's not much in the way of foreign films here.

Devils backbone is a class film, saw it at the Cork Film Festival last year. I can't recommend this enough. Brotherhood of the Wolf is also a cracking film.

Have yet to see Amores Perros but have heard really good things about that too.

thanks for all your recomendations I'll make sure to check them all out!
    Unfortunately i always find myself missing films in the IFC and have to wait till they're on video- for foreign films that can be quite long (and some really good films don't even get a video release!).
    biggest budget ever for a french film? now that does sound interesting...

thanks again i'll let you all know what i think when i see them!

• Advertisement

Definitely see Amores Perros.
    It's one of those films where there's 4 short stories that all connect.
    you will love it.

Advertisement