Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does "Fatal Exception" mean?

• 17-04-2001 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

k, well I cant get near playing tribes frown.gif.

Heres the problem: When I try to play LAN/solo, I get as far as "initializing",then the machine seems to read the floppy drive,and then the dreaded blue screen pops up. It says: "Windows A fatal exception 00 has occurred at 0028 : D04DBF68 in VXD WSIPX(01) + 00000B78.The current application will be terminated."

Thats it.Aswell as the usual press any key to continue and pressing ctrl+alt+delete will restart your machine. So after pressing any key it cuts back to the desktop,and and the desktop res has changed to 640 x 480! This happens whether i set the desktop res to 800 x 600 or higher,or lower even.When I attempt to play online,all seems to go well,I have registered etc and entered my cd key,but when i enter my password and click login i get a few msgs "fetching server proxy list" until i get to "Validating login data" and then the pc attempts to read the floppy drive again and bang,i get the same Fatal Exception error msg as i entered above.

My System spec: pentium 3 600 mhz. TNT2 M64 32 mb, 128 mb RAM, SB Live(1020) sound card.

Any ideas? What kinda fault is this?
    It has been suggested to me that :"It's ipx related. Try uninstalling the ipx protocol and reinstalling it." << what? How do i do that?
    And : "make sure you have the Novell networking protocol installed (the version supplied by Microsoft). I found the solution on the Microsoft site as it applied to Epson network printers (!?). Weird."

^ Eh?? Any knowledge u have wud be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by bugler (edited 17-04-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If you ever want to find out about windows problems try this link...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/ and paste some of the error message into the search option. It isn't always helpful.

Your right, the error can sometimes relate to IPX. If I was you I would uninstall IPX and try. Also do a Windows update to get the latest updates for your OS before doing anything.

This was the closest I could find to your error...

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q192/4/45.ASP

I don't know if it will help.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 17-04-2001).]

Advertisement