Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EirStream - Laughable prices.

Options
  • 28-03-2002 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

The idea of paying 150 Euro a month was afordable, for such high speed access.

However- I've just recived an e-mail :)

Within the e-mail, there was a .doc file.

Highlighted:
    Please make sure that the following items are completed as the lack of any one will result in your application being delayed

1. Appropriate signature on the application form
    2. Appropriate signature on the direct debit mandate
    3. That the correct deposit is enclosed (Solo users €800, Bizpro users €1250)
    4. Dept of Communications Licence Fee €50.00
    5. Payment for Static IP Number if required €125.00

I formally retract my praise for EirStream, and I think the ODTR should take a peek at this company, before they attack EircoN over there ADSL prices.

The thought might be diferent if the 800 Euro could be payed off over the coarse of the contract, but the downpayment requirement; Makes this service laughable.

So, here's the summary:

Pro's.

24/7 Access.
    400d/128u-KBPS.
    Flat-Rate.

Con's.

150 Euro a month.
    Specific Home Positioning.
    Unsuitable for webmasters.
    800 EURO DEPOSIT.
    400MB/Day caps.
    3BG Monthly bandwidth.

The Con's outweigh the pro's in this matter.

I'll stick to my 1c a min after six with IoL, and have my 4KB downloads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

so what, this is what you can expect to pay anywhere for two way sat

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

We wouldn't have to pay this if Eir-Bitch would fork out an Unmetered 56k access plan.

But they have still ignored the 50 sig's I sent them, along side my letter. And maintain that the country doesn't want it. ^.^

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Arboration, I think the prices are ludicrous too, but as it happens they aren't far off what is being charged in other countries, including the UK.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

The prices are fair, Satellite equipment and bandwidth comes at a premium cost, this is not mainstream stuff, if you cant afford it then tough, but the prices are compeditive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

The deposits are outlined in the pricing table on their website; nothing new.

The prices aren't too much more than other services starting up in the EU, and definatly isn't going to stop me getting it soon.
    Also, you get the €800 or €1250 back if you terminate the contract after 2 years.

Brendan

• Advertisement

I told them I'm only going to have it for like, a year?
    Because in reality, thats all I AM going to have it for.
    I'm not interested in opening a savings account with EirStream, which doesn't have interest ;)

If you have it a year, you need to give 3 months notice before termination, and you loose the deposit. This is in the contract that comes with the application form; there may be other stuff in it that you need to read too.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Other countries make you buy the equipment. At least anyone with money can have this where ad adsl will always have people who cant avail of it in their locality like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Ive talked to this crowd on several occasions with regard to ordering the two way satellite system. They never returned any of my calls, and they even more surprisingly would not reply to my emails. Thoroughly unprofessional in my opinion.

I would not be surprised if they vanished in a year or so...bringing alot of deposits with them.

There's a very good chance you're right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

So you have a problem with paying a 800 Euro deposit for a satellite dish, cabling & sat modem?
    As for paying the 800 Euro deposit in instalments, this kind of misses the point of a deposit doesn't it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by Praetorian
    Ive talked to this crowd on several occasions with regard to ordering the two way satellite system. They never returned any of my calls, and they even more surprisingly would not reply to my emails. Thoroughly unprofessional in my opinion.

I would not be surprised if they vanished in a year or so...bringing alot of deposits with them.

I'm surprised to hear that, I have always received prompt responses from them. Have you tried to contact them by telephone? Anyhow, if you have any questions regarding the system or satellite in general feel free to contact me via e-mail (satellite@bite-ltd.com) I'm a reseller for them and will be more than happy to answer any questions that you might have.

Yep, I always got replies in a few hours after sending emails too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

dont take this the wrong way, but you come off as highly string, maybe they found you offencive,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Just a short point.

Eircom, are still ripping me and every other cutomer "Off"

They are being allowed too carry on with this "Amoral" unjustified
    behaviour, by our apparently "IMPOTENT" Government.

Both of the above "are guilty" of treating - Irish citizens - with contempt. They are also "guilty" of - maldministation- of a deliberate kind. Which is against "The common good of both our citizens and commerce interests of the Nation" by allowing - overcharging and exploitation of the - internet and telephone users lack of knowledge .

The responsibility too inform the people of the true "COST of USING the INTERNET in Ireland - rests firmly with our Government. Again they are being either deliberately "evasive" or are guilty of "collusion" with a "private business" to keep the public - in the dark by NOT running an infomation campaign to educate their "Citizens and Electorate" of the true harsh realities
    of the cost of -"Going online". This again is a "dereliction" of duty- and maybe somone should be forced too - RESIGN.

Most people that I know - jump for joy - when they first get a computer - but this soon changes- too "Shock and Misery" when they get their next "EIRCOM" telephone bill. Enough said??.. Yours,paddy20:confused: N.B. The average citizen is NOT a techie, YET - The Government is doing nothing about infoming the
    public. WHY?...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

400MB/Day caps.
    3BG Monthly bandwidth.
    um i can download around 6500mb a day on cable and regularly clock up at least 4gb so 400mb is awful :e

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'd like to draw everyone's attention to the rules:
    Although it may seem so to many, the forum is not specifically an arena for bashing the likes of eircom or other companies or authorities just for the sake of it. This is a discussion forum, not a propoganda page.
    Take it down an octave boys and girls, I'm starting to get annoyed. If it continues:
    Any such unconstructive message threads which go in such a direction will be removed without discussion.
    This forum is starting to slip again, and I will not tolerate it for much longer.
    Complaints about these deletions will not be entertained.
    That applies to my comments as well. Don't argue with me, just read the rules and comply with them and we'll all get along swimmingly.

I'm locking this thread, it's going nowhere.

adam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement