Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2pcs playing CS over one isdn line

• 13-04-2001 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Anyone done this ?
    If so did it work and how ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

smoke me akipper says he has done it.Ask him.He claims pings of around 140 for each pc,which is nice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

if the machine with the isdn ta is running win2k you can use its built in internet sharing, works extremely well. You just enable it for a connection, in the properties for the connection, which automatically sets your ip for your network car to be 192.168.0.1 . Then you set the other machine either to automatically be assigned an ip. I think it automatically sets the gateway for you when you reboot. If not, you have to set it to 192.168.0.1 . If you dont have win2k on the machine with the ta, you will have to mess with crappy win9x internet connection sharing and good luck with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

it's easy as **** with a program called "sygate" ... works well on win98, if you're on win2k just use the inbuilt sharing proggy.

I used to do this, bit annoying tbh, when the other guy spikes when he's hit by an nme you also spike heh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

You could always buy another TA and just use seperate channels for each person. Obviously more expensive, but then its just like 2 people with their own seperate isdns, (they have seperate channels)
    quozl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

Taken from the sky technofile website
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> The trick to this is to install and setup "Internet Connection Sharing", again here's a useful article to get you going.
    In this case, your server machine (the one which is doing the dial-up connection, is acing as the traffic manager for your small network, and so needs to manage things like allocatiing IP addresses, and looking up Domain Names for internet access. The start of the process is to open control panel, double click on Add/Remove Programmes, then select the Windows Setup Tab. Double click on the Internet Options and select the Internet Connection Sharing option to start the installation. Don't skip reading the details in the above article before you start, but don't worry too much about this being a difficult thing to set up, it really isn't, and once it's done, you'll be your own Network Manager!!
    Oh, I'd be inclined to install the Modem on your most powerful PC, as when you are sharing resources, you will notice some slowing down of the machine. </font>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Can I get a win98se and a win95 OSR2 machines to use ICS?? I'm ona 28.8 at the moment but would only be using it to share IRC and possibly play multiplayer Red alert with me neighbour and brother....
    Also getting a 56 external soon so connection should go up,,,,,still have to replace phone lines in attic though, or at least the junction thing...
    The win95 box doesn't seem to have ICS in the setup options.
    Also i have an old monitor, It worked fine but then i moved it near a radiator under a window, and now it cuts out after you have it on for a while....is there any thing I can do?
    If not I'm going to record the implosion when i drop the CRT and mightpost it somewhere...
    John

No-one ever suspects the Duck
    He who must die, must die in the dark even though he sells candles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

the win98se machine should be able to use ICS. go to network properties, add the internet sharing protocol for tcp/ip

if its not there, you may have to install ICS in control panel -> add/remove programs -> windows setup.

if the modems not in the win98 se machine then switch it over. Let us know how you get on.

Instead of all this, you could download a proxy program like wingate or sygate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

the 2 pc's over the one channel ISDN work well.

however if one of those pc's surf the net, while the other plays cs, i get major lag.

also i tried my laptop as well as the 2 pc's and got pings of 1000 for all on netshop.

but all three work well on other games like starcraft.

also 3 player LAN games can be kinda fun with a few bots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Are you using ics or 3rd party ? I'm on 98 1st edition so no ics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

best option if u have any dough for this is to use a router.

something like the eicon diva, or 3com isdn router, or netopia do one as well.

Each is different and different prices but most do:
    1. 4 port 10/100 network, so u could have 4 pcs playing cs at the same time. (i have used 3 at the most and with only 2 playing u notice zero lag on 64k)

2.2 POTS (optional) so u can have ur phone and or fax or second phone line plugged in.

3. make sure u have a decent network card as that can make all the difference with this setup. as they said above surfing and or downloading mp3's will wreck havoc on this setup, but if u just want it to play cs with this system you could have 2 or 4 playing with zero lag. (just open a secondline for 4 players) and i would keep the rate setting down at 56k (3500) rather than using an isdn setting (5000+).

u can email me for more info if ya want.

212.120.138.69 bayridge cs server

• Advertisement
Advertisement