Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands world cup songs....

Options
  • 28-03-2002 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

Can anyone remember the names of irelands world cup songs and who sing them.....

are they available anywhere?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

Put them under pressure -- Irish squad '90
    Jack heros -- The Pogues and Dubliners '90
    The team that jack built -- ?????? '90

There was the one that chaged the lyics to Billy joels we didn't start the fire. Packie Bonnar
    Niall Quinn
    Denis Irwin
    ect ect

As i recall all the ones for '94 where crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

anybody know of any appearing for the forth-coming one?

*cringes in advance just incase*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

anybody know of any appearing for the forth-coming one?

I heard that our all dancing band westlife (or one of the them) are constructing one...... but then I found this
    BMG Ireland announced today that Glenwood Rovers Duo, Colm Ward and Eamonn Dunne have been chosen to pen the lyrics for the Republic's World Cup Trip to Japan and South Korea. The pairs musical credits include the Paul McCartney/Stevie Wonder hit "Ebony and Ivory", Kate Bushe's "Wuthering Heights" and the Police's "Every breath you take". "We'll both remain 100% committed to the Glenwood cause, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that it is a great honour for the both of us", explained a jubilant Ward on TV3's breakfast show this morning.

god help us

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anyone remember the one by a band called VENTURE for the 94 one.For love of god I cant remember the name of it even though I played bass on it for the band.Was really sh!t though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 walls_fan

You obviously haven't heard Sayonara Connemara and the The Wolfe Tones :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Watch your house for ireland, good bye europe, hello USA.
    what's the score?...up 1-0...are you watching jimmy hill?

bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

To answer the original questions, yes... and yes.

All the following are available on the Solid/Dolphin/RTÉ CD "Irish Football Songs - The Unbeatable Collection" (catalog no. SORTECD181)

1. Watch your house for Ireland - Irish World Cup Player's Pool
    2. We're on our way to the USA - The Boys in Green
    3. That Old Jack Magic - Dr. Morgan
    4. Give it a lash Again - Liam Harrisson & The Goal Celebrities
    5. Thank You Jack - Paddy Reilly
    6. Olé '94 - One Hit Wonder
    7. Jack is the Daddy-O 0 The Memories
    8. Ooh-Ah! Paul McGrath - Watch Your House feat. Paul McGrath
    9. You'll never beat the Irish - Dublin City Ramblers
    10. Drive it Jack - Charlie O'Neill & The Goal Celebrities
    11. A Nation Behind You - Venture
    12. On The Ball - Against the Grain
    13. Seo Linn Go Meiriceá - Bórd na Gaeilge
    14. Que Sera Sera '94 - Dublin City Ramblers
    15. Put Them Under Pressure - The Irish World Cup Squad (1990)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

thanks Mr Bard.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

And lets not forget the ever present irish soccer theme: horslips - dearg doom

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Yeh, thats put em under pressure Astrofool.

I heard that the forthcoming song will be a cover of a dexys midnight runners song - 'Come on Ireland'. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

BARD-Fair play to ya.Couldnt Remember that Venture one.Jesus I remember recording that in a ****ty little basement with the lads from Venture.Thought it was great at the time--famous for 15 minutes then heard the song ---God it was ****.But I was only just gone 19 and thought that this was it fame,fortune etc.
    Jesus Ill have to buy that for nostalgia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

During Italia 90, I was in Spain on holiday, and on the morning of the Romania match- a Sunday I think- a group of 100 or so lads took over the hotel, and sang their heads off, and although-like all Irish abroad, drink WAS taken- they certainly weren't drunk, and created a BRILLIANT ATMOSPHERE, and when Dave O'Leary popped in the winning penalty, you could have heard the cheer on the other side of Spain!!!!!!!

PS

Getting back on topic, wasn't "Put 'em Under Pressure" Ireland's Number 1 for about 6 months???

Advertisement