Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lcvp

• 28-03-2002 11:54pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am doing LCVP this year, since my school only started doing it 2 years ago, anyone know were I could past papers on this subject please?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Yeats County

You should be given an "LCVP Folder" which tells you all about the subject, anyway, your teacher(s) should have some old LCVP exam papers in the school.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yea they do, but they only have sections from previous years, I'd just like to see what the whole past papers are like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Sorry but what is the LCVP ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Leaving Cert Vocational Programme - http://www.lcvp.ie
    Its dead easy do and loads of times to do it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Cabaal
    Leaving Cert Vocational Programme - http://www.lcvp.ie
    Its dead easy do and loads of times to do it :)

Yea but universities only give 50 points for the top grade on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by RASKOLNIKOV

Yea but universities only give 50 points for the top grade on it

Yes, but that's a whole ten times what I expect to get in Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Kensai

LCVP is a load of fúcking bollócks.
    We spend two classes a week listening to our teacher spout utter shíte.

As you can see I am rather put out with the fact I have to do this stupid subject :)

Waste of anyone's time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Shouldn't have went to the classes then :)
    I hardly ever did and I did fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I did LCVP for my leaving cert - piss easy! Seriously, it requires FÚCK ALL work - you just do your simple project that a crack addicted chimp could easily do and then do the laughable exam.

Its true that the unis only give 50 points for the top grade in LCVP, but its better than a kick in the arse :)

Especially if you know you're going to do bad in another subject - like phaxx with irish above.

Also, the institutes of technology will give 70points for the top grade in LCVP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

6 years ago when I did my leaving we were one of pilot students for the programme. I remember being in 4th year, and my principal giving us a big speech on how they have introduced this subject, and how beneficial it would be, and blah blah blah. But what caught my attention is that the students would be given special privilages in the computer room. This computer room had just gotten in a batch of P120s with 16MB of RAM, and this was a serious spec (for the time). Only 20 students from the entire 4th yr class could do it, and this is out of about 120-130 students. So anyway in went and did my jig for them in an interview, and they fell for it.

They knew I had an aptitude for computers so, they let me in based on that. But little did I know what I was in for. Since these power machines up in the lab were running Windows '95, there wasn't a teacher in the college able to use it. So along with teacher supervision I had to lecture the class on DTP and other ECDL (level) skills. Since I practically ran the lab, I had MSVC++ 1.0 installed on some of the computers too. It was here I started learning how to program.

I remember dodging so many classes during those 2 years, using "I had to work in the lab" as an excuse. Nobody questioned my work, coz they didn't understand what I was doing. It probably wasn't a good idea coz I made a balls of my leaving cert, but I don't really care coz I'm doing what I want to do now. But anyway I had a decent foundation in programming before I ever hit college, twas mad ;) , and has proved beneficial to this day.

Anyway the LCVP is a good idea I think, yes it's boring/easy, but it beats the likes of Irish, History (which I hate) anyday.

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

This computer room had just gotten in a batch of P120s with 16MB of RAM,

Ugh, we STILL have a few of these...
    Since I practically ran the lab,

Me too. :)
    Nobody questioned my work, coz they didn't understand what I was doing.

Me too. :)

It probably wasn't a good idea coz I made a balls of my leaving cert,

Yeah, um, I'm going to spend a good deal less time in there next year. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Just to let ya know that the points for universities for LCVP has increased this year for most if not all colleges in Ireland.For a pass you recieve 30 points a Merit you Recieve 50 points and for a destinction you recieve 70 points which should come in pretty damn handy! If ya wanna make shure its on DIT's website and all their handbooks and im shure it can be found on the site of any college your interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

Just to let ya know that the points for universities for LCVP has increased this year for most if not all colleges in Ireland.For a pass you recieve 30 points a Merit you Recieve 50 points and for a destinction you recieve 70 points which should come in pretty damn handy! If ya wanna make shure its on DIT's website and all their handbooks and im shure it can be found on the site of any college your interested in.

It was actually increased in 2004... it's 70 easy points. Unbelievably easy if you know your way around MS Word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

I like it, I did transition year so I find that a lot of the stuff I have done already so it is very easy. Our Teacher is like yours Phobos, he allows anyone who knows how to use the system to teach the other class.

I have found what I think you mean by past papers. They can be found by going to this page: http://www.examinations.ie/main.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep
    chooseing the year, on the following page chooseing the examination e.g. leaving certificate the underneath the "subject" menu going to "link modules". I regret to say that the year 2003 does not seem to have this option, however all of the other year do.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

My son is moving schools this year 6th and the new school does this LCVP course. Do you think he would be able to take it up this year and do well in it or is there some kind of continuous assessment. His old school did not do it. He is good on practical hands-on stuff but not great on some academic subjects.

Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement