Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israeli Forces Enter Arafat's HQ

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Gargoyle

Originally posted by Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    being as institutionally racist a policy as it is- I find it repugnant.

Yes it is, and I don't like it. However, I understand why they do it and realize that they have little alternative.

It would perhaps be better if the Israelis tackled this issue head on, and addressed the root cause of terrorism, ie- the huge list of Palestinian grievances.

The problem with this is that you have to know exactly what those grievances are and, once you know what they are, you have to be able to alieve them. While you and many others on this board are convinced that the Palestinians will be satisfied if the Israelis end the occupation of the west bank, I am not convinced. Why? Because children are taught from such an early age to hate. Because maps palestinian children look at still have no Israel on the map, pre-1967 or not. Because all of the terrorism organizations of note that I am aware of have gone on record as saying that their goal is not to end Israeli occupation, but to end Israel itself.

Does Sharon want peace? Not for one second do I believe that, but Arafat had a chance to negotiate with someone who did only a about 20 months ago. Now I've seen how strongly some people believe that the offer that was made was not fair and should have been rejected. Fine. It was a HUGE step for Israel to take, however. So if Arafat wanted peace, why didn't Arafat negotiate? Why didn't Arafat make a counter offer? Does Arafat want peace? No more than Sharon wants peace IMO. I'm not an expert on the subsequent election, but it stands to reason that because Arafat refused to go the route of Barak and negotiation, the Israeli people concluded that land for peace would not satisfy the Palestinians and elected a hard liner to replace him.

Ever wonder why swissair, lufthansa and british airways rarely have hijacker trouble and El Air do? Perhaps it is their respective governments' approaches that is the key- one of restraint and tolerance, not wave after wave of what appears to be inflammatory violence to please the hard right.
    Occy

Well, Swissair has been hijacked 5 times (albeit in the 70s). British Airways 3 times, and Lufthansa has been hijacked a whopping 14 times, so I'm not sure how much of a comparison you can really make there. What I will grant you (and what I think really meant to illustrate) is that there really isn't a substantial group of people out there who say, "I want to kill the Germans.", or ,"I want to kill the Swiss."

Restraint and tolerance are great, but they are not always applicable in every situation and sometimes cause more harm than good.

By the way, where have you been in the alternative energy discussions we're having over in the science forum?

Advertisement