Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem Enumerators for Win2k

• 29-03-2002 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hay All,

I have another question for you and see if there is anyone who can help me out.

I upgraded from 98 to 2000 recently and the software based modem I had would not work with 2000 so I got a Conexantsoft56k HSF PCI from a friend.

Now I know that you need an enumerator to run it properly with 98 but the the driver that I got (a generic one) for 2000 does not install an enumerator. The modem is never recognised (error 680, no dial tone) but according to the Diagnostics on 2000 it is working perfectly.

I have been looking for a 2000 enumerator on the web but can't find one anywhere, do I need one?.... anyone got any suggestions of good sites or is there something else that I am missing or doing wrong.

Cheers for your help,

Cannon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

That doesn't sound right, you shouldn't need a EMU to run a modem, you should only need them if you want to use a TA/ISDN, if you want to dail into a none ISDN ISP. Also your old modem should have worked in 2k, are you sure you where using the right drivers for it and not ME/NT drivers?

As for the new modem that sounds more like a problem with the Modem/Phone Line its self. I know that some modems need a plug before the line connects to the modem, it acts like a converter for the signel. Again you should try getting the lateist drivers for the modem and also make sure they are the right ones for the card its self.

Drivers.com

L= drivers
    P= all

you should find what your looking for there with a bit of a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cannonfodder

Cheers Sully,

When I was installing 2k it told me that I the Modem was not compliant. But I had a look just now for a driver for it.. got one from Driverguide and I will check tonite and see if it works.

It is not a real problem but the old one is only Data/Fax and the Conexant one is Voice as well..... maybe there is a blessing for friends there somewhere...

I know that the Conexant one needs an enumerator because I am running 98 in work and installed the Modem and Drivers and the enumerator went in along with it... I am running off a lan in work though so I cant tell if the Modem is actually working or not. Once again the Win Diagnostic says it is.... but in all honesty who believes them.

Thanks for your help anyway and the password for Driver.com

Cannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Check the numbers on the biggest chip on that modem and put those numbers with the words connexant and winmodem into a googling.
    Or else actually post the numbers on the chip so that 'we' can attempt to find the pertinant dirver for you.

Typedef.

Hay up,

Tried that as well. Got loads of info on it but most of them were dead links.

I did get the Generic Driver for it by doing that though..

The chip is:
    conexant rs56/sp-pci r6793-11

And me thinks this is the model number but not sure it was mentioned just after the Chip details but cant get any google info from it:
    E12743.9

At this rate you have pretty muched guessed that I have no idea of comps but any of your follow up info is much appreciated...

Cheers
    Cannon

I did find a forum page as well which suggests I am not the only one who has problems with this modem... the Port settings mentioned in it are honestly over my head though:

http://www.driverforum.com/modem3/5874.html

Below is the read out I get from doing a Modem Detect Applic from Conexant...

NUMBER OF MODEMS FOUND = 1

MODEM #1:
    PCI CONFIGURATION INFORMATION READ:
    VENDOR ID : 14F1
    DEVICE ID : 2016
    SUBVENDOR ID : 14F1
    SUBDEVICE ID : 2016
    REVISION ID : 01

DEDUCED INFORMATION:
    VENDOR NAME : CONEXANT
    DEVICE NAME : HSF DATA/FAX/TAM/SPEAKERPHONE
    SUBVENDOR NAME : ACTIONTEC, ZOLTRIX, ACEEX, TAICOM OR ASUS -- [url]HTTP://WWW.ACTIONTEC.COM/,[/url] [url]HTTP://WWW.TAICOM.COM,[/url] [url]HTTP://WWW.ASUS.COM.TW/COMPANY/.[/url] FOR 14F1/ICH GO TO -- DELL-HTTP://SUPPORT.DELL.COM/US/EN/INDEX.ASP
    MODEM TYPE : HSF
    WINXP INBUILD SUPPORT : YES

(([url]HTTP://SUPPORT.DELL.COM/US/EN/INDEX.ASP[/url] this is a Dead Link... one of many))

cannon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Hi Cannonfodder

After reading the post on that form, are you having the same problem where it reports back that the modem is using com1?
    If so you might want to see if anything else is using or is set to com3. Also take a look and see if anything is sharing a IRQ with the modem.

To find out about the both of them do the following

start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> System ->Hardware -> Device Manager.

To see what IRQ's are being used Go "view" and then "Resources by Type"

Then IRQ and you will see what is being used, see if anything is sharing with the modem.

As for the com port, it may be a device you put on the computer and the took off. Win2k will remember a device for PnP. If you go to

start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> System ->Hardware ->
    Hardware Wizard -> Uninstall/ unplug a device and then uninstall.

You will get a list of all the devices on your computer both hardware and software devices. To see things that are no longer on the system click on the box with "Show Hidden Devices" If you look for your old modem it should show up, also remove the new modem from here. then do a scan for new devices. it should pick up the new modem and set it to com3 then.

Then go to your Dialer and set it to use the new modem (if its not already set to this) and see if it will dial.

GL

• Advertisement

Sutty thanks for all the info,

I basically decided to screw it all and went back to 98.

Solved the modem problem but now the sys is just crashing out when ever I am using high graphic games

Technology just does not like me.

cannon

Advertisement